Chapter 3: Tall, Dark, and Handsome

3 NEW CHARACTERS are on the side ^_^ ----->

Alright, on with the chapter

Chapter 3: Tall, Dark, and Handsome

Shadé

I literally just walked in for work, quickly slipping in my attendance slip and throwing on my apron. I tied the apron around my waist as fast as I could before putting my hair beneath a netted cap. The scarf I wore over my concealed two strand twists helped me keep the cap on my head. Usually, I'd need two or three nets.

"Somebody's late," Devana, my co-worker, said as she peeped from the kitchen.

"Shut up," I hissed as I made my way to the cash register to relieve Frieda, another co-worker.

"Aidos mios, muchacha! What's been taking you so long," she asked exasperatedly.

"The twins," I briefly said as my excuse.

She shook her brown, wavy head and headed to the back room. I took her spot at the register, waiting to take a young woman and her father's order.

"What do you want, dear," the elderly man asked.

"Hmm, I think I want..." she trailed off briefly as she searched the delectable treats on display. "I want a piece of that velvet cheesecake," she squealed excitedly as she pointed at the cheesecake.

"She'll have the red velvet cheesecake," the man said, turning to me.

"Thank you so much, daddy," I heard the woman say as I turned around to prepare her slice of the cheesecake. Just as I turned around to package the woman's treat, she and the older man were sucking one another's faces off.

Eww, I guess that isn't her father.

I cleared my throat in an attempt to get their attention, but they just kept on kissing. "Sir...sir, will that be all," I questioned uncomfortably.

He nodded his head as if to say 'yes',

"Okay...Um, Sir, your total is 4.05," I said after calculating the total plus tax on the register.

The odd couple pulled away as the wrinkly skinned man pulled out a gold credit card. He swiped it and selected credit on the touch screen with his trembling fingers. He was way too old for a woman like her. She looked to be no older than twenty one while the man looked about sixty. Was he trying to be the new Hugh Hefner?

I handed the woman the plastic container that held the red velvet cheesecake, noticing that a large diamond ring adorned her ring finger on her left hand. I watched in disturbance as the unlikely couple left the bakery.

Yes, I work at a bakery as a sales associate, basically a cashier. I liked working here though. I got Ezra discounts on anything that Tori and the twins wanted, I haven't had any altercations with my co-workers either, and they even loved it when the twins would come whenever Ezra brought them. It's as if they spiced up the bakery with their loudness. It was relatively quiet here. Although, there was one thing that would throw me off guard during working hours.

Suddenly, I felt a toned chest press against my back as strong arms wrapped themselves around my waist.

"Darrell," I lightly laughed throwing my head back, hitting it against his chest.

"Keep saying my name like that and I might take you on this counter," he said seductively into my ear, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

Darrell Grant was my boss and the investor of this bakery, Dina's Pastries. The bakery was originally called Grant's Goodies, but he changed it in memory of his older sister who was killed in a traffic accident. At least that's what I knew from my co-workers. She was the original owner of the bakery, while Darrell's the CEO of a line of hotels. There are at least twenty eight of his hotels in Manhattan. But now, he owns both his sister's bakery and his hotels.