Chapter 25

Star had been watching him from a distance for a while, stalking him even, as he made his way through the busy pier with restless eyes – no doubt looking for her in return. But she was careful to keep out of his eye line, for now. She liked the way he moved, seemingly confident, though ever so slightly hesitant, as if he were half afraid that someone might notice he didn't quite fit in. He had the air of a tourist, distracted easily by the brightly coloured side stalls and vendors with their goods.

He had spent a while trying on various leather jackets, studiously contemplating his reflection in the full-length mirror, as the bored sales-girl with a mass of permed blonde hair snapped her gum and nodded like a demented parrot repeating the same phrase with each different style he tried.

'Looks great, ya, uh-huh.' Star could tell he didn't have the same cool self-assurance that David possessed. The third glance in the mirror confirmed that as he handed over the cash and began to walk away, but there was something so openly honest and sweet in his lovely face that she couldn't help but smile and walk with him, keeping out of sight. His dark blue eyes raked the crowd again as he twitched at the sleeve of his new jacket. Was he hoping she would be there? He stopped as a girl climbed up into a chair beneath a hand painted sign that read 'Ear piercing'. Star almost laughed as he seemed to contemplate this. First the jacket, now the earring... Her thoughts flickered back to David – was he reinventing himself based on one quick glance at David the other night? Had she had such an impact already? If only he knew what kind of monster David really was... what she was... His eyes now transfixed on the terror on the girl's face, as her friend coached her from the side lines.

'It won't hurt, it won't!' The guy beside the chair picked up a needle and Michael turned away as Star appeared suddenly at his elbow and muttered in his ear.

'It's a rip off,' and it was! Tozier's place pierced for much less than that guy was charging, and his needles were probably cleaner to. A thought suddenly came to her as she drew her thin rose-patterned shawl closer around her shoulders. 'If you want your ear pierced, I'll do it,' she ventured further, without looking to see if he was following her. She knew he was. His eyes were darker than she had thought, a softer, gentler blue, and his smooth, chiselled features were more handsome than she had remembered, now she was closer.

'What's your name?' he asked, his eyes never leaving her as they wound through the bustle of people around them.

'Star.'

'Your folks too, huh?' Star's features suddenly darkened as she turned suspiciously on him, a flicker of panic in her eyes.

'What do you mean?' she demanded, a little more sharply than she had intended. An easy grin came to his lips as he flung his hand out, holding his forefinger and thumb close.

'Ex-hippies,' he explained. 'I came this close to being called 'Moonbeam' or 'Moonshine' or something.' Star laughed with relief, having thought for a moment that he had some kind of inkling about her childhood. 'But Star's great, I like Star.'

'Me too,' she said.

'I'm Michael.'

'Michael's great, I like Michael,' Star grinned. He had such a smooth, warm voice that she felt so at ease around him. This would make David's plan harder than she thought. How could she lead him back for David to turn him? Maybe there was a way out. Maybe she could avoid David and the others long enough to put this off for at least another night or two. They walked a little further on and Michael paused at a red motorcycle. Though it was older than David's, it looked shiny and well cared for.

Michael gestured to his pride and joy, swinging a leg over as he looked up hopefully at Star.

'Wanna go get something to eat?' he asked, a little shyly. Star couldn't keep the smile of relief from her lips. If they left the Boardwalk, David might not be able to find them and she might just be able to stall a bit longer.