Chapter 8

'She can ride up front with me, I've got enough space here for her,' beamed Marko the next evening, sliding back on his seat to gesture provocatively to his crotch as he sucked on his lower lip and gave Star the eye.

'Cool it man, the girl's mine!' Paul socked the younger boy in the arm as he draped himself over the handlebars of his own bike and raised a brow, cocking his head to the left. 'What'dya say, sweetcheeks? You can cling to me anytime. You like it fast, huh?' he asked playfully, ignoring the daggers Dwayne was shooting him. 'Me too.' Paul blew an air kiss and grinned as Dwayne growled.

'Quit it guys, I mean it. Next one to come on to her will get my fist in their face.'

Star shrank back as Paul licked his lips lasciviously, only to be knocked flying off his bike as Dwayne descended on him. Dust rose from the ground as each fought for the upper hand, Dwayne easily outweighed the slighter Paul as they rolled, his muscles bulging beneath his leather jacket. But Paul was just as strong, flicking Dwayne off his chest with his feet, as though he were as light and irritating as a fly. Marko's laugher rang around the rocky walls, punctuated by Star's gasp of horror as Paul struck a fierce blow across her brother's jaw. Dwayne's loose, long hair shrouded them both as he shook the punch off and snarled, grabbing at Paul's fist and fiercely twisting it to the point that Star was flinching in expectation of a snap.

'What the hell is going on?' David asked, lowly, pulling up the leather collar on his long woollen coat. 'Can I not leave you boys alone for five minutes? Get the fuck up. Get on your bikes and sort yourselves out. Seems to me like she's already more trouble than she's worth. Star rides with Paul. Now go. I've got places to be.'

As though they had been reprimanded by a schoolmaster, the boys dusted themselves off and climbed silently aboard their bikes. Paul smirked as Star slid obediently behind him, her warm arms gripping at his waist. The revs echoed loudly around the little alcove as Paul coaxed his bike between the rocks and led the way out into the night.

Star clung tight to Paul, the creaking leather of his jacket cool against her cheek as she turned her head to catch a glance at Dwayne who rode behind them. His jaw was set in that silent, stubborn way she had, his dark hair streaming out behind him like hers was. When she caught the sight of the foaming water lapping at the cliffs below only inches from the spinning tyres of the bike, from the corner of her eye she had to turn back to Paul and press her face into his back. She could feel the change in texture as the wheels rode from bumpy stone to skidding sand that would fly up and sting her bare legs, the long skirt of her still blood-soaked dress lifted by the rush as they rode. Star didn't dare open her eyes again until she could feel the bike slow and she heard the idling engines of her brother and Marko behind. Stretching her stiff fingers, she coaxed them away from Paul's waist as he sighed dramatically.

'Aww, really? I was enjoying that hug, girl.'

'Star, here.' Dwayne eased his bike to a stop beside Paul's and she climbed unquestioningly from one to the other. Marko laughed, his wide eyes flickering from one to the other. He was the youngest in terms of having changed, and physically the smallest of all of the boys. His face still bore the rounded features of youth in comparison to the rugged lines of the other three men and he was still learning to control his lust. Bright blue eyes sparkled in the moonlight as he tilted his chin up and sniffed at the air with a grin.

'Marko,' Dwayne warned, lowly. 'Remember we talked about caution. We have to scout the area first, then find out who they are.'

'Listen to that beat, man,' Paul smiled, closing his eyes as he swayed jerkily on his bike. It was only then that the sounds of music and laughter drifted to Star's ears, some jazzy beat that was almost swallowed by the rolling tide as it crept in over the damp sand, the light laughter muffled by the gentle rise of a few sand dunes.