Chapter Nine: The End

Mayuri doesn't look scared. I know she is, though. I don't want to admit it, but I'm scared, too.

"Who is first? Wait... I change my mind. I want both of you to go against me at the same time," the voice says.

I curse. Mayu and I have been training for one on one battles and have done nothing on teamwork. He caught me off guard. This could, however, be an advantage.

"Okay." I take a deep breath and open the door. I walk in and Mayuri follows me. The door slams shut behind us.

"Are you ready?" A player in his thirties stands on the other side of the room, sword drawn.

"Yes," I say. Am I shaking?

The man charges straight at us and his sword is aimed at Mayu. Their swords clash, making his slide to the left, cutting her arm. Her health bar is still in the green, though.

I run at him and swing at his waist. It will be hard for him to dodge this. He doesn't move in time, so my sword goes through him. His health bar is also still in the green.

He must be cheating! He programmed his avatar to be level one hundred, or something! I think to myself.

His sword barely misses my head. I need to start paying more attention to the battle.

I head Mayuri gasp, and turn around quickly. His sword is through her stomach. He's too fast for us.

Mayuri bursts into the blue shards.

Now I can't breathe. My best friend and crush is dead. The next couple of minutes go by in a blur. All I can think about is Mayuri.

•••

I'm out of the game. I blink a couple of times, then realize where I am. I'm in the hospital, connected to about ten different tubes. A nurse walks in, and she looks at me surprised.

"Y-you're awake! The people trapped in Sword Slay are out!" She starts fiddling with some machines.

"M-Mayuri..." I mumble.

"What's that?" She asks.

"Mayuri. Is she okay?"

"Hold on one second, I'll go check." The nurse leaves the room.

Maybe this was all just a dream, I hope. I know it wasn't, though.

The nurse comes back. "I-I'm so sorry. She didn't make it."

Of course she didn't.

•••

It is a couple of days later and I've been discharged from the hospital. I'm standing in front of Mayuri's grave; I couldn't go to the funeral because the hospital said I wasn't ready.

"I'm going to a rehab school for kids that were trapped in the game soon. I wish you could come with me." I say to the tombstone.

I touch the black, shiny stone with the tips of my fingers. "I love you, Mayuri."

Because who likes happy endings, you know? Don't kill me. Especially you, otaku_vampire. I know how you think Mayuri is cool. Well now she's cool and dead. I need to stop talking. Well, please read my other stories because (insert good reason here) and stuff like that. Hope you enjoyed this story!