Chapter Eight: Preparing for Battle

Akihito and I go to a dungeon. We pass a couple of people, but don't fight.

I tug on Akihito's sleeve. "They're not attacking us."

"My guess is that now, there isn't really a point to it. We're all focused on fighting the game maker," He says. I nod so that he knows I heard him.

We fight monsters. Only a few more XP until we level to 70. I kill one monster, then another, then one more. That is enough XP. I've levelled up.

"Good job, Mayu. Are you ready to fight the game maker?"

I shake my head.

"Mayu?" Akihito looks confused.

"Our weapons," I tell him.

He understands now. "Oh, that's right. We do need new weapons. Let's go."

We arrive in town and look around. Akihito takes my hand, I think so that we don't get lost in the crowd. I'm glad he does, because it reassures me. I'm nervous about fighting the game maker. Just how strong will he be?

It's actually kind of fun walking around town. In the six months that I've been trapped in this game, I've never really had the chance to wander around the place without worry.

"Let's check out that weapon shop," Akihito suggests.

I nod, and we walk in. There are many weapons. Axes, swords, spears, knives, and many other sharp-looking weapons are displayed on the wall.

"Hello, how may I help you?" The woman at the counter asks.

"We're looking for strong, new swords to fight the game maker," Akihito tells her.

The woman's eyes widen. "You're... Fighting the game maker? You must be insane! And you're dragging your girlfriend into it, too!"

Akihito quickly lets go of my hand. "Can I please just have the sword?"

The woman sighs. "For being brave enough to risk your lives, I'll give it to you for ¥3500 instead of ¥5000."

He buys two and pays her. "Thank you very much, ma'am."

We walk out and go to floor 100; the one-on-one match will be held there.

There is a red castle there. We go inside, following the hallways that obviously lead to the game maker. There are monsters along the way, but Akihito and I can take them easily.

"Don't let your guard down for a second when we get there," he tells me.

I nod. There are so many monsters in the hallways that we've levelled up to level 71.

We finally reach two large doors. There is a big knocker on both. Akihito hits them and the sound echoes throughout the castle.

"Hello, hello! Welcome to the ultimate boss fight! I sure hope you're prepared!" It is the same voice that came from the cloaked figure.

Akihito turns to me, leans down and kisses me. I don't react much because it's only virtual, but I'm happy he does it. I also know that it means he's worried we won't make it back alive.

Mayuri: 4

Akihito: 1

People dead throughout the entire game: 4697

People left: 28,662

People escaped: 112

A/N Wow, I think that is the first time two people have kissed in all seven(?) of my stories. Wait, maybe in that BTOOOm fan fiction... Not sure. Whatever. Let me have my pride.