Chapter Six: The Kill

Mayuri lies her head on my lap. I'm sitting on my bed. I can't... I can't stop thinking about what happened.

I killed someone...

Mayuri, she's so cute and innocent. I can't believe she killed Haruka without a second thought. I just...

Enough of this. I need to stop worrying about killing someone. This is a game of life and death, and if I want to get me and Mayu out, I need to be ruthless.

Mayuri is asleep. I might as well sleep, too. I lay back, careful not to move my legs so that I don't wake her. I am thinking about killing some people tomorrow so that I can get out as soon as possible, but I am still debating. I'm not sure how Mayuri will think about this.

I fall asleep.

I wake up and Mayuri is gone. I start to panic. I swipe my right hand down to open the menu, then sigh in relief. Her name is still on my friends list, so that means she is alive. I use the voice chat icon to see where she is. It rings three times.

No answer.

I bolt out the door, and when I reach town, I shout her name. People stare at me. I run out into the field, still calling her name. Finally, a scream echoes. It's coming from the left, so I run as fast as I can over there. I hope it's not too late. I hope-

I get there just in time to see Mayuri swipe her sword across someone's neck, killing them. I'm truly horrified. How can she just... How can she just kill people without hesitation? This isn't the girl I know. Mayuri has a heart; she's just not good at showing it.

This isn't right. The only reason why I haven't gone insane yet is because I know I need to keep a cool head for Mayuri. She already lacks the ability to stay calm and think before she does something. I don't like to point it out, but it's part of her autism. That's why I need to make sure she doesn't do anything... But it's too late.

Mayu walks over to me. Her eyes are wide. She knows what she has done, but doesn't know how to process it.

"H-how many people... Have you killed?" I ask her. I'm afraid to find out.

Mayuri holds up four fingers.

Kills

Mayuri: 4

Akihito: 1

People dead throughout the entire game: 3894

People left: 29,363

People escaped: 86

A/N Sorry for the short chapter. I'm still thinking about what to write. By the way, the numbers above are not made up. There are 33,171 people that started out playing this game. The rest goes from there.