Chapter Five: Deceive or Be Deceived

I can't believe this is happening. I... I thought I could become friends with someone, actually trust someone in this deceiving game. Or maybe I should call it Hell instead.

I stand in front of Mayuri with my sword drawn. I glance behind my shoulder and look at her. She is just staring at the tip of Yukine's sword. I know what she's doing. She's reading his movements. Mayu has a talent for doing that. She can predict the next move of almost anyone. The direction they will turn in, whether they'll run or walk, stuff like that.

She shifts her weight to the right. I know where Yukine will attack. Mayuri taps the side of her stomach. From that, she tells me Yukine will come at me from the right and aim for my waist area.

Yukine strikes. I block it. He's fast, so if I didn't know his moves beforehand, I would be dead. Haruka stabs at Mayuri, but she dodges easily. She swings her sword down on his sword, forcing Haruka's blade out of his hand. Mayu stares at him. Haruka looks frightened. She slashes him from shoulder to hip, making him burst into blue shards.

As she does this, Yukine swings his sword again and hits my arm. I see my life go down. It's still in the green, but it's dangerously close to being in yellow. I use one of my power-ups. My sword shoots a green ray from its tip and it goes through Yukine's stomach. At first, it does nothing. He smirks. Then, other green lights shoot out of him, but they seem solid. They pierce his body wherever they come out. I stab him in the chest.

I look over at Mayuri, who is sitting on the ground, patting the spot where Haruka died. He isn't there, though.

"Let's go back to the inn," I tell her quietly. She keeps her eyes fixed on the spot she was patting and raises her hands up to mine. I take her hands and she stands up. "It was just self defence, right? We would've died if they hadn't."

We walk to the inn silently while holding hands. Today made me realize that this game isn't child's play. This is kill or be killed. Deceive or be deceived.

Kills

Mayuri: 1

Akihito: 1

People dead throughout the entire game: 2457

People left: 30,642

People escaped: 72