"So, you both spent a lot of time together?" Megan said slowly. Watching me for a reaction. I know she'll be surprised by this, but she's my best friend, so I hope she won't be too shocked. I hope she'll understand.

"Yeah, we did. You know all those late meetings we had?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I remember."

"Well, seventy-five percent of the time, it was late because Marci and I stayed after to get some extra work done. You know? Paint a few posters, draw out a few ideas for flyers. Plan out different events. It was more detailed having two brains on it at once.".

"It was like yall were working in tandom." Megan said. Looking down the street. Following her glance, I figured it was only a matter of time before chase came out to talk to me. I knew he would've seen my car from his bedroom window. And I felt so bad seeing the big as day smile on his face, kmowing what I was about to do next.

Rolling down the window, I turned my head slightly as he popped his head in to give me a kiss. His lips planted on my cheek instead. I could see in his eyes that he knew something was up, but he still tried to hide it.

"Hey beautiful, I didn't think you would be stopping by today." He greeted me. His eyes still shone brightly as he looked at me. "Hey Megan, what's up?"

"Not much Chase. Just came along for the ride I suppose." She looked around, then hopped out of the car, motioning for Chase to come sit in the passenger seat. "Im gonna go chill at the park for a few minutes, text me if you need me." She looked at me, then at Chase, then started walking away.

Getting into the passenger side seat, Chase settled himself beside me. "What's going on Sloan?" He asked. Hoe voice was uncertain, definitely not as light-hearted as it was when we  came.

"Listen Chase...."  I started, then looked at him. I felt awful for doing this to him. Its just that I didn't feel anything like that towards him anymore. Not in the way I did towards her.

"You're breaking up with me arent you?" He asked. His voice was low. And his eyes just bore into mine. Shaking his head, he looked away. "Is there someone else?" He asked. "Tell me the truth."

"Yes....." I said lowly. "But I swear I haven't done anything behind your back. I swear I would never do something like that to you."

"But you would do something like this?" He asked cooly.

"It was my intention to hurt you Chase. I swear. I really did love you at first." I said. I was pleading with him to see that I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't the right things for me to do.

"At first?" Nodding his head, he just looked defeated. "I guess I should thank you for sparing my feelings." Je quickly wiped his face. He was crying.
"I really am sorry Chase." I said.

"Its okay. I just hope that whoever this other person is, makes you happy." With that, got out of the car, and slowly walked back towards his house. His shoulders slumped and his feet dragging.

I really did feel bad for doing this to him. He really did love me. And I am greatful to have known him and to have been with him. I just know that it would've hurt him more had I of pretended to be as happy with him now as I was before. But, it did go better than I thought it would. I expected him to be angry, or at least more vocal about it. But, Chase really is a good guy. I just wished I could have loved him. He deserves better.

Driving up to the park, I saw Megan swinging on the swingset. Scrolling through her phone. Hoking my horn, she looked up. Waking up to the car, I saw she was juat playing games. Typical Megan, best way to pass time is her phone. She got that from me honestly.