Chapter nine

"Skye, seriously, where are we going?" I questioned for like the thousandth time. I was quiet at first, and let Skye take my hand, dragging me out to her car. Even when she pulled out of the schools parking lot. With me being me, my mind eventually started racing with all the worst possible outcomes. From the possibility that Skye was an axe wielding murderer, and was planning on hacking me to a bunch of little pieces. To her bringing me to a drug lords house and selling me off into some sex trafficking ring.

"Just trust me." She repeated. That was her answer every time.

At any rate, her words did soothe me in a way. Don't get me wrong, my mind was still racing, but not as fast.

So I decided my best bet was to just sit back and wait. Watching as the vibrant green treeline passed outside the window. Listening as the tires ran over the little bumps in the road. Resting my leg against the speaker, enjoying the slight vibration from the soft rock that was playing quietly.

Looking back on it, I've never experienced something like this before. Where I felt comfortable just being. Not even talking, just being. It was refreshing.

We drove quietly for about twenty minutes. Until finally she pulled into a dirt driveway. Following it down for a while. Until we reached a stop. I gasped as I looked around at the beautiful meadow that we were in. My eyes widening as I saw the massive looking oak tree that stood smack dab in the middle. It was absolutely amazing.

"Oh my god, Skye, this is amazing." I said, hopping out of the passenger side, I spun around a bit, taking in everything I saw. This place was breathtakingly beautiful.

"Yeah, it is." Skye said softly from beside me. "Its my place."

"Your place?"

"Yes." She explained. "This is where I come when I'm feeling overwhelmed, or whenever my brain won't shut up." Walking forward, she sat down in front of the massive tree, bringing her left hand up to the oak.

"Do you come a lot?" I asked, situating myself beside her.

"Are you asking if I'm moody a lot?" She joked before laying down, looking up to the sky. Haha. Get it? Skye looking up at the Skye. No? Ok, never mind.

"No, I'm just asking how often you come."

"Everyday." Sighing, she sat up, her stormy grey eyes immediately finding mine. "Have you spoken to anyone about your dad? Is that why you were so upset?" She questioned.

"No." Honestly, I was flattered that she was asking. Even more flattered because she sounded and looked genuine. But, I don't think I could handle going to see my dad. His doctor called me before Sloan and I had initially gone to bed. He said he was stable, and was resting in the ICU. Honestly, I think that if I did go, if I did see him, and saw him laying lifelessly in a bed, hooked up to a bunch of machines, it would completely destroy me. I couldn't bare the thought of the man I looked up to the most, belittled to nothing more than a vegetable.

"Why not?" Skye pushed.

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I don't want to." I defended. I don't know why, but this girl was really starting to get under my skin.

"I don't buy it."

I looked a her incredulously. "What?"

"I don't buy it."

"And why is that exactly?" I challenged.

"Because I don't think you don't want to see him, but rather you're afraid to."

"Why do you do this?" This part of our almost technically friendship was starting to annoy me. She'd be all concerned or whatever about me, but the second I ask her, or show any type of concern for her, she ices me out.

"Why do I do what?" Looking into her grey eyes, I knew she knew what I was talking about. She just wanted to play stupid.

"This!" I proclaimed, gesturing where we were now. "You are such a confusing person sometimes."

"What?"

"You heard me!" I said, standing up. I started to pace in front of the massive oak. "You are like, one of those damn ultimate rubix cubes! With the extra tiny little squares!" She sat there, looking up at me. Which only further my confusing rage. "Like, one second, you're super sweet and caring! Then, I ask you anything personal and you flip shit! You practically ignore me, then, you hook up with some random hoe from algebra!" Instantly throwing my hand over my mouth, my eyes bulged at what I just said. I half expected for Skye to just get up and stalk off, but she just stood up and looked directly at me.

"You think I want to be like this?" She seethed. "You think I want to be so fucked up, I can't have any decent relationships?!" Raisin her voice, she turned around, putting her hands on her hips. Looking back at me, she started again, a bit softer. "I don't know why I act the way I do. I don't. I just-......." She sighed, running her hands over her face and through her hair. "I'm broken, ok? I have been for a really long time. There's just no fixing me."

She bowed her head in shame, refusing to look at me for several minutes.

"You're not broken." I said, finally making her meet my eyes. The look she had, hurt my heart. She looked defeated, and exhausted. It hurt knowing she felt this way, and that she thought she couldn't talk about any of it. "You've been hurt. I don't know how badly, but you're hurt. You're scared. You're closed off. You're a lot of things. But, broken? That's not one of them."

"What's the difference?"

"The difference is, there's still a chance for you to be mended."

"How?"

"Talk to somebody. It doesn't have to be me, or a therapist, just talk to somebody you know. You couldn't even talk to Sloan." Talking really does help. Considering Sloan practically forces me to tell her whenever I'm upset.

"What if they can't fix me?"

"Then you keep trying." She looked me over, then smirked a bit.

"I'll do it, but on one condition." She said, sounding more like herself.

"Which is?"

"You go see your dad."

**********

Authors Note:

To whoever reads my book, if anyone does, thank y'all so very much. Writing is my passion, although I may not be all that great at it, I still love it. So I appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate of y'all could please vote, comment, or share!

Thank you!

-KP