Chapter 29

Skye's POV

The way I felt seeing Tina again, it was inconceivable. I couldn't begin to explain how it had felt. And she just sat there the entire time, looking smug. I've never wanted to hit someone in my life so bad. 

I knew my mother hated her just as much as I did, but she was too polite to forbid her from coming anywhere near our family.  Despite the hell she put me through. 

All those years I had thought that the worst part about what happened, was Uncle Rob. But I was wrong. I didn't realize until much later, that the person who caused me the worst pain, was Tina. She tried me off as a tramp. At the age of Fourteen. She tried to play it off during uncle robs  trial, that I was the one who had tried to seduce him, and made the whole thing up. Then, after his sentence was read, she came up with some bullshit excuse of how she was afraid that if she said anything against her husband, and he got off, he would come after her. 

The worst part of it was, that I felt like because I didn't talk about it, my mother and father began to believe Tina. That made me feel like absolute nothing. Later on, I knew it wasn't true. I couldn't help my mind from wandering to that thought.

Sitting at this table, across from the one person in the world I hated more than uncle Rob, I tried to keep my composure. Which was hard. As I watched her attempt to make small talk with my mother and Megan. The main thing keeping me together at this point, was our conjoined hands resting comfortably under the table. 

Tina's eyes would occasionally wander to mine, but immediately look away. Either to my mom, or to Megan. This was another thing that was keeping me together. After all these years, my fear of her faded into disgust. Her hatred of me, turned into absolute terror. Every time she did look at me, I could could a flash of emotions cross her face.

I didn't want her to be afraid of me. I didn't want her to hate me. I didn't want or strive for her approval. The only thing I even remotely wanted, was to never have to see her face again. 

I stayed silent for most of the dinner. Until that dreaded woman brought up the one subject I wanted to avoid.

"I spoke to Robert a few weeks ago." She stated, lifting her wine glass to her mouth. I fought the urge not to reach across and slap that glass out of her hands. Megans hand squeezed my hand. Either in an attempt to calm me, or to keep me in my seat. "He said he has a parole meeting." 

"What exactly do you mean, parole hearing?" My mother questioned from the head of the table. My mother was a patient woman, but it was evident she was annoyed with this woman. As well as angered at the thought of that man being released.

"I mean, my husband may be released from the federal penitentiary he is currently housed in." Tina said, her voice formal. 

No longer wanting to be the controlled one, I was about to stand and state my views, but my mother beat me to the punch.

"Frankly, Tina, the parole board would have to have had lost their minds if they even remotely thought of releasing that monster from his cage." She explained, calmly cutting up the rest of her food. "And if you are here, to suggest my daughter lie on your husbands behalf, I suggest you stand, and walk out the front door. Otherwise, I would like if you could shut your mouth, and eat this delicious meal my daughter had the curtesy to cook for us this evening." 

Both Megan and I just stared at my mother, as she continued eating her food. Occasionally stopping to sip her wine, or wipe her mouth. 

I had always thought that Sloan's ability to cut people down with her words was a learned trait, but I was wrong. 

Tina hadn't said another word during the rest of dinner. I was still on edge, but sitting here with my hand intertwined with Megans, and my mother willing to defend me, I was a little relaxed.