14: Cliff Diving

Axel

What a mess.

I think to myself as I watch my family fight among themselves. Vincent does not seem to think before he acts, too impulsive. If he were more analytical, he would see the genuine affection Sang has caused within us. Yes, I said us. That soft but tough woman has captivated me since I saw her small abused body flinging a knife at a soulless to protect us.

"You are such an ass! Why can't you understand that I do not want you!" Mika bites out. Tuning back to the idiocy of this argument I look over at Sang to see how she is handling this situation but, I was not prepared for what I saw.

Kevin whispering to her and gesturing behind him while her face blanches. I look behind her to see what could possibly give her that reaction and I can feel the blood drain from my face. From my position I can only see at least fifty soulless headed our way.

Pushing my way in between the bickering couple I growl out, "shut the fuck up and run!"

Finally noticing the danger we are all in, the group begins to sprint, the Soulless gaining quickly behind us. I hear Raven yell out to get our weapons out and ready. I do a mental check on myself to make sure I'm ready for this. I've got my breathing even, the expression on my face vicious, and the grip on my knife tightening. You got this.

I hear a grunt and see Vince in front of me trip on a tree root, "come on Vince get up!" I hoarsely let out while grabbing him by the arm and pulling. Taking a glance behind me I see weapons all over the place, a head dangling from the neck of a soulless while Raven pummels it with an ax, another soulless getting slammed by a baseball bat.

We don't have time to fight them, we have to get away.

I scream at them to keep moving and we start running as fast as our legs are willing to take us. Seeing an opening within the trees I keep thinking to myself that we are all going to make it, passing the opening I immediately stop which has everyone slamming into me.

Walking over to the cliff we almost fell off of, I look down and see rapid water below us. The drop isn't too bad but I know just how dangerous crashing waves are when they are slamming down against you.

I hear a strangled cry behind me and what I see shocks me to the core, "NO!" I yell out in despair as I see Kevin being bitten by a soulless he was fighting. He looks at me with grim acceptance, but I don't let him try and sacrifice himself for us. Grabbing him by the arm I pull him towards the group.

Tears are running down my face and I'm trying to stay hopeful. Memories of my brother take over my mind as I feel Kevin struggle against me to let him go. He is one of the best men I have ever had the privilege of meeting. The loyalty and care he gives every person he meets. He will survive!

Shaking out of my head I see Sang with tear tracks down her face but with a fierce expression, "we have to jump!" she utters out while looking behind us. The snarling noises getting closer, we do not have much time.

"Are you insane?" Vince yells out but her face contorted in rage as she pushes him off the cliff then jumps after him. Corey yells out in shock. Next thing I know I'm flying through the air, the wind hitting me at a rapid pace. The surface of the water slapping into my skin as if the waves are angry at me. I get slammed into a hard surface, my hands trying to hold on the slippery stone when I'm hit in the head and darkness takes over as my fingers lose their hold.

The numbness of the black abyss is soothing, no memories, nothing at all as I silently glide in this comatose state.

Hands are pounding on my chest as I suck in greedily the air that is being pushed into my lungs. Feeling the surge of water wanting to leave my body I'm pushed to the side so I do not choke on it.

Looking around I see Brandon wipe his mouth and sag against a tree in relief when he sees me staring at him. "Where is everyone else?" I ask roughly, wincing at the pain in my throat. Brandon tells me that Marc and Sang are out looking for the others, he found me not breathing lying by the side of the river. I can see how much everything has taken a toll on him and I wonder if I have the same look of fatigue and hopelessness as he does.

We hear voices and look up to see a wet and tired looking group, everyone accounted for except for Mika and Kevin. Corey is limping while leaning against Raven, Vince has a grumpy look I've come to be accustomed to while holding his arm towards his chest, while Marc holds Sang's hand in comfort.

Sang rushes over to me and cups my face in her hand while kissing my forehead, "I thought we lost you." she mutters out while brushing the black strands away from my face. The tender look in her eyes as she looks over my body checking for any other injuries makes my heart race. She moves her hand and with one last look gets up and tells the others that she is going to start looking for Mika and Kevin.

Corey begins to protest her going alone but Vincent stops both of them with a glare and stands up. "I will go." he whips out coldly while stomping through the thick greenery. Shaking her head, Sang goes to sit down but Brandon grabs her hand and sits her down in his lap. He looks extremely vulnerable and I can see that he is afraid for Kevin. We all know what a bite will do. It's a slow death.

Raven sits next to Corey and says "He could live through a bite"

"Don't get our hopes up Raven. That's 1 in a million chance." Marc mumbled out with a frown on his face. .

Soon enough we hear a shrill voice saying, "I can't believe you were kissing me and touching my boobs when I was unconscious!"

"My God woman! I trying to save your life! Ever heard of CPR?" we hear Vincent growl out.

Interrupting Vince and Mika I ask, "where's Kevin?"