The Siphon Witches are surrounding her and the Brood Mother. Wizards had created a barrier to prevent anything that would disturb the ritual.

To their unfortunate thoughts, someone did.

Nevio threw in his Solar Grenade to the unsuspecting Thralls and Cursed Thralls. They were an annoyance. Cayde released a few shots to the Knights and Acolytes.

The Wizards flew in and used their spells to repel Cayde and Nevio. Both of them dodge it and fire their bullets to the heads of the Wizards.

Headshot.

The Brood Mother had summoned more Thralls and Acolytes.

"I'll deal with them!" Nevio shouted, he had activated his Sunsinger and started to throw Grenades at the incoming Thralls and Acolytes. He even managed to kill off the Wizards for the last moment.

Cayde took this chance to use his Golden Gun to fire away to the Siphon Witches. The barrier that the Wizards made had become weak and impenetrable. Causing Cayde to fire a few more rounds to the Brood Mother.

While Cayde was keeping the Brood Mother busy, Nevio swept the Pits off from any Hive.

"Her pulse is dropping!" Exclaimed Nevio's Ghost. They were in a rush to save (Name) but the Brood Mother was becoming a challenge to them. Nevio had to resort to use his rocket launcher, it caused a few damage but it was sufficient enough for Cayde to  release a few more rounds.

"C'mon..." Cayde gritted as he reloaded his hand canon, he was leaning behind the cover. Nevio was in charge to get the Brood Mother's attention.

He cast another glance to the unconscious (Name). The marking let out a faint glow. Nevio was doing a good job, luring the Brood Mother away from her.

"You think I can shoot the chains?" Cayde asked his Ghost.

"There's a chance that it might break."

"So, no?"

His Ghost wished it could manifest itself in front of him and give Cayde a look but it couldn't since they are in a fight with the Brood Mother.

"Yes, I think you can shoot the chains."

Cayde aimed his hand canon to the chains that was holding you up in the air. He pulled the trigger and one of the chains broke. One chain against a lot of more chains. He doesn't give up as he continues to fire more.

The chains let out a quaint glow, causing the Brood Mother to screech in pain.

"Whatever you're doing Cayde," Nevio's Ghost spoke to him through the comms. "It's weakening the Brood Mother. Keep it up."

Cayde gave Nevio a nod, a signal to do to final move. Instead of aiming the rocket launcher to the Brood Mother, Nevio aim it at the chains. He fired away, the Brood Mother dodged it and cackled.

What she didn't know that Nevio wasn't aiming at the ceiling. He was aiming at somewhere else.

"Now Cayde!" Nevio shouted as Cayde activated his Golden Gun once more.

The Brood Mother has her back facing him. It gave Cayde the window he need to make her fall down, clipped her wings and make her death sufferable.

He used all the bullets that his Golden Gun gave him. They were useful enough as he watch the Brood Mother, burning from the intense pain that his bullets emits. He watched as she became ashes, bright as the Sun and it flew away like dust.

Nevio shot down the two remaining chains. Cayde was underneath (Name), he jumped up and caught her without boasting. His optics scanned your face, searching for sign for you to wake up, cough, sneeze or anything that meant that you were alive.

He safely landed onto the ground, or floor of the Pits.

"I can't hear it." His Ghost said, he had scanned your form the moment when Cayde caught you. "Her hearbeat... They've stopped."

Nevio excused himself, he had a report to submit and he had to tell the Vanguard what happen. He decided to leave Cayde alone. A moment with you. "Ikora, this Nevio. I have bad news."

• • ✿ • •

Cayde held you with all his emotions, running around his mind. Maybe causing a disturbance in the flow.

"I break the promise." He said it out loud. He doesn't care if anyone saw him like this. "I couldn't save you. Not the second time..."

He hugged your form closer, be careful of the protrusion of his forehead. To gave you a soft bump onto your forehead. It was supposed to resembled a kiss but he doesn't have lips and this was all he could do.

"You're... squeezing me... to... t-tight..." You mumbled. Cayde immediately released you from his hug, his optics was smiling at you. They were brighter than its usual.

"Y-You're alive!" He let out a chuckled. "Oh, how I want to kiss you!"

You dryly laugh at him. At the end of your laughter, it turns into a coughing fit. You had no oxygen to breath to.

"C-Cayde..." Your weakly voice had managed to get his optics right at you. "I..."

He leaned closer, trying to hear what you're saying. His Ghost knew that you are cheating death. But was inevitable. Was this your last dying breath?

"I... love... y-you..." With a last gasp, your figure slumped within his arms. You closed your eyes and let death to embrace you.

Cayde's optics dimmer with sadness. He had lost another person that he loved. A person that was dear to him. His Ghost had called their ships to their locations.

When the ships arrived, Cayde carried the deceased (Name) onto his ship. Nevio had returned and the atmosphere had changed. The gloomy aura was covering Cayde as Nevio board his own ship.

Cayde gently lowered her body to his makeshift bed. He lean forward, he peck her cold lips with his own.

"Let's bring you home, Sleeping Beauty." Cayde got up and went to the cockpit, activating the thrusters.

"Are we giving her a proper burial?" Cayde's Ghost asked. Cayde nod his head.

The ship boosters was on and it sent them into a Warp Drive. The bright colours came from the tunnel illuminated the ship's interior.

He didn't confess his feelings towards you.

If he had time to rewind, he would say those words to you.

I love you.