Chapter 1

"What are you so afraid of?" Ana's voice rang through my ears.

"I said enough!" I waved my hand in anger, forgetting that I didn't have my glove on.

Ice powered through my hand and onto the floor. My ice.

Oh no.

That couldn't have happened. I had been taught control so no one would get hurt. I couldn't let them see what I was.

But I just did.

My heart dropped like an icicle from my chest.

They saw.

I dashed out to the castle courtyard, only to be greeted by the commoners who set their foot inside the gates for their first time.

All I heard was my name.

"Elsa, Elsa!" I closed my eyes in an attempt to block them out. It didn't work.

"Stay away!" I shouted. I would hurt them.

They kept on coming closer, crowding, condensing, suffocating.

It was too much. I let out more of my magic, regretting the tinge of relief I felt when I released it. It was a demon inside of me that reveled in the joy of it. The magic.

The fountain froze solid. The icicle dug deeper into my chest. Tears we're threatening to explode from my eyes, but they couldn't. I wouldn't let them. I was the one hurting everyone around me.

I made one final sprint to the bay, but having forgotten there was no bridge to carry me across, I faced open water.

I could escape in there. Drowning didn't seem like a bad option at this point.

One step forward, and the liquid water turned to ice.

So I could make it across.

I ran as fast as I could away. Away from everyone and everything that I knew.

Ana could rule, she was always the more adventurous and spontaneous one with the kindest heart. Although she did have some poor decision making skills- I grimaced at the fact that she wanted to marry someone she had known for less than a day- advisers would help her. They would help her with anything that she needed. She didn't need to hide anything.

I don't know how long I ran. It could have been hours or minutes, but once I reached the North Mountain I knew I had found the perfect place. A view of the valley and the forest lying within it. Nobody would think to look here, despite the occasional hunter and gatherer. Isolated and out of sight of civilization, I knew I could call this home.