Chapter 14 - Breaking the News

Start from the beginning

Kelsey couldn’t teach a class like this.

She hurried into her bedroom and sent an email to all of her students informing all of them that class had been cancelled. Then, she called her dad.

“Hello?”

“Hey dad, do you think you could come by my house in about an hour instead of my office?” She asked him, hoping he’d agree.

Thankfully, he didn’t even ask questions. “Okay, honey.”

Kelsey hung up and then went to her closet, pulling out a pair of nice, comfy grey sweatpants and a hoodless sweatshirt. She quickly got dressed and the hurried into the bathroom. Her sink was covered with various supplies Verona had used on her, previously. Kelsey got some foundation and rubbed it onto her skin, hoping to lighten the dark circles. Then, she gathered all of her hair and put it into a ponytail. She hoped a little make-up would cover up the torture she’d been put through the previous day.

She set out Grizzly’s food and beverages before cleaning out the litter box. Then, Kelsey looked for food for herself. She’d been too exhausted to eat last night, but now, she was starving. She needed food.

Then, another thought occurred to her. She couldn’t go to Alex’s sister’s wedding looking like a beast. It was a social event. People were going to be there. Good-looking people. And Kelsey wasn’t oblivious to the fact that she was probably in her most unattractive stage right now.

Then, realizing that she had bigger things to deal with, she made her way back into her bedroom and grabbed her cell phone, calling Alex. He answered on the second ring.

“Diaz.”

“I know who I’m calling.” Kelsey responded with a small smile on her face that seemed to just appear at the sound of his voice.

“I answer mi mama’s calls the same way.” Alex said, though Kelsey could hear exhaustion in his voice. He was tired and Kelsey felt bad for bugging him so early in the morning. “I have an image to maintain. If someone hears me, well, I don’t know. So, what’s up? Which gangster’s secret hideout have you stumbled into this time?”

Kelsey laughed. “It’s actually quite the opposite. My parents are coming over to my house. Both of them.”

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line. “Kelsey, I don’t know you well enough to meet your parents yet.”

Kelsey rolled her eyes. “But it’s okay to invite me to your sister’s wedding?”

Kelsey didn’t have to see him to know that her words brought a smile on his face. She could hear it in his voice. “Touché.” He paused. “So, if you didn’t call me because you’ve run into a gangster, and you didn’t call me to introduce me to the parents, why did you call? It’s a little early.”

“My parents are coming to my house, today.” Kelsey repeated.

“I do believe we covered that.” Alex responded, good-naturedly.

“They want to know about Kara.” Kelsey told him. Now, he hesitated.

“Oh.”

“Yeah.” Kelsey said. “What should I do? Am I allowed to tell them?”

“Your sister’s a fugitive, now. She attacked and injured a federal agent. Do you know how big that crime is?”

“I know.” Kelsey still couldn’t believe it, even though she’d witnessed the whole event. “How’s Dylan?”

“He’s stable.” Alex responded. “After I finish up here, I’m planning on visiting him in the hospital.”

“I want to visit him, too.” Kelsey told Alex. “He saved my life. I want to thank him for it. Can I come with you?”