Part 8 - Closer

Don comes in the club's class with heart that thumped like crazy. As he walked from his class, he took early and showed in club's class at 2 p.m. He tries to clean his face with some water in restroom because he wants to see someone which is, becoming important for him. It's like she becomes a temporary 'Reason' for his brain.

After he arrived in the room, he doesn't see Roy. Although he already tried to call him but he didn't answer. It's so rare that stone-head didn't answer Don's phone. In that time, Don also didn't see Hal. It's like one full day, that girl didn't showed up. Although she said want to join the club, maybe still, it's not fit for her. But however he really need to see her, to say thanks about the information that really lead them into the right place. Eventhough, it became an ambush but her information still pretty right.

Don tries to wait. He sit in a chair that is really dusty.

As his patience growing thinner because time eats it slowly. His mind is determined. He will wait. He's alone at that time. He just counts how many chair and tables to refresh his mind. Until the sunset is showing up. Still, the loneliness is the only one who accompanies him. The air become colder. The dust even become transparent, as it blends with the sunlight that start to vanish. He looks again the clock that hanging in the wall, as he cleans his sunglasses and take it off. He blinks to make his eyes refreshed. He does this repeatedly.

Don walks out of the class. His club class is so unique, it has no key. So after sunset, maybe around 6 p.m., the gatekeeper will close all of it and locks it. Don takes his leave although he knows a little that as a stranger, it's really suspicious to make a unknown girl obey his will. So it should the time for Don to leaves, it's really no problem for him, knowing he doesn't need his brain worked extra this day because nothing important today.

He brings his little bag, saying thank you to the gatekeeper. Although there is a few college student still in the campus, Don never asks them. The students who still stay is more who joins sport clubs. So they will practice in the sports building. For Don, he is still envy at them, to enjoy the youth time with a passion.

He steps into the university's gate, across the highway, he looks again. There is a confused girl standing and looking at ground many times. When someone walk around her, she take a step to make a distance, it's like she didn't have much bravery to ask and afraid of human presence. Don waves into her, knowing that girl is familiar with him. As Don's smile grows bigger, he step with some spirit pumped.

" You really come.. " Don said.

" Yeah, it's just rude to decline when someone asked, right? "

" Although you barely know me? "

She cracks some mysterious yet shocked smile. It's like her realization is late but she tries to calm herself by change her breathing tempo. As she wears same big hoodie like she ever wear. It's still fresh in Don's memory. But today, she wears red scarf that hanging in his neck. Maybe because it's already cold. Well, sun ready to hides again.

" I'm Donovan. Just call me Don. Now we're not strangers anymore, right? " Don introduce himself. He just remembered he didn't even introduce himself to her.

" Nice to meet you, Don. I'm Rose Flanel. Sure you really can call me Rose. You don't have a last name? " she replies.

" Nah, I'm an orphan. Well, it's like I don't even know who my parents are. Some of my memory is blurred. Precisely, the memory when I was kid. Meeh, too heavy, right? So what did you do here? Why didn't you go inside? " ask Don curiously.

" Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Ehm.. about that, I just don't have a courage to come in-- " Rose just looked the ground when she said it. It's like she's ashamed and doesn't have enough confidence.

" As my apology not able to fulfill the promise, do you wanna visit the old library again? It's also Edgar want to say sorry because he's doing a rude things to you before.. "Rose continues as she tries hardly looks into Don's eyes.

" Sure. "

They walk each other. Don tries to keep his step speed with hers. He just realized top of her head is same with his shoulder. Her hair looks so smooth. However, they walk toward the crowd, as Don's heart still beating rush.

The old library that sit in the corner of the three-junction, still bright in the inside. It's like there are still many people inside it. As Rose and Don open the door, the unique silver bell starts to ring, Rose leads and Don just follow at behind. The smell of every paper that fit in the books makes Don's nose works.

A boy come from the inside, as he looks is so familiar to Don. It's the librarian. He has a neat brown short haircut. Her eyes looks sleepy and there is a black mark, under his eyes, it's like he likes to stay late. His outfit, it's like a butler from Europe. He wears a white formal shirt with black vest. It's also a black bow tie hanging under his neck.

Don shows a little crooked smile as he also replies it with same expression.

" Ah, the-yesterday-noisy-guy.. " he says with forced smile.

" Edgar, stop it.. " Rose says with an annoyance face.

" Alright, alright. I'm sorry for kicking you out yesterday.. Ehm? " Edgar asks with giving his hand.

" Donovan. Call me Don. By the way, it's really okay. No hard feelings. " as Don tries to grab Edgar's hand.

They shake hands each other as apologizing is accepted and there won't be any particular hatred. Rose waves a little to Don, inviting him to get closer. Now they stand in the big hall that almost of the sides is full of books which are placed neatly as genre. Above them there is some ancient lamp that a craved bronze holds it. The lamp itself is yellow ball-shaped, just like a crystal ball that shines through all the inch in that place.

" Don, what genre do you like to read? " ask Rose happily.

" Ah, pardon me, but I really have no interest in books, but sure, surprise me.. " Don answers with scratching his hair and gives a plain smile.

Rose tries to run and thinking many times. She bites her thumb to search a good item. Many times she passionately touch a book with her hand then move it to the right and left. Her rushing steps echoed in this big hall.

" Don't run inside, Rose ! " Edgar screams from the other room.

" Don't scream inside, Edgar ! " Rose replies his words.

After that, Rose choose one book and pull it from the rack. The book itself looks little heavy as the paper becomes yellow, maybe it's a book that is written so many times ago. It's hard covered with some yellow ink written in the cover. Rose brings it with her two little hand.

Don accepts it as he tries to read the cover.

" Here, as my apology, I give you my recommendation. Hehe. " she smiles cutely. Her cheek becomes expands a little as Don really want to touch it.

" Children of Altar ? " as Don reads the book title.