Slip Away - John Shaw (12 Rounds)

For Samanthyandrenee26

Song; World of Our Own by Westlife

:: :: :: ::

Sam: You were supposed to be here 10 mins ago

Sam: Seriously John? This mama bear needs to eat

Sam: You're blowing me off again aren't you? 😒 

I glanced down at my screen again to see if he had replied yet or at least read the messages, my eyes rolled. "Still nothing?" Jess asked from across the counter, sympathy in her eyes. I don't think anything is more depressing than a pregnant woman being stood up. I nodded with a sigh. "I'm sure something important came up." She reassured.

"Better be important." I uttered under my breath, peeking down at the phone again. "I'm sorry, I'm being rude. Keep on going; you met a guy. Tell me everything!" I exclaimed, placing my phone face up on the marble counter leaning against it.  

She smiled coyly, fidgeting with the golden chain around her neck. "Not much to tell, yet." Jess bit down on her bottom lip, her cheeks dusting with a slight pink color. "His name's Jake and I really like him, Samantha. It's been awhile since I felt like this." 

"Maybe a year from now you'll be the one the size of a beach ball." I teased with a chuckle my hand resting on my large belly. Jess' smile widened as she stood on the tips of her toes to look over the counter. "Mm, I don' think she liked that comment." I grimace, feeling her foot kick hard inside of me.

"Ooh sassy already, just like her mama. She's due any day now right?"

"Technically she was due any day last week." I frowned, "She's a determined little bugger." 

Jess laughing was cut off by the phone ringing, she quickly answered it. "Saint Luke's ER, Jess speaking." Her smile slowly fell, "You're heading here right now? Gunshot in the chest? Is he conscious?" Her eyes stayed trained on me, as she listened to someone on the other end. "Okay, we'll have the operating room ready." She hung up only to pick the phone back up and dial someone.

"Everything okay?" I asked but she didn't answer.

"We have an ambulance on route, they say they have a Detective with a gunshot to the chest, he's unconscious and losing a lot of blood. Okay, I'll direct them straight to surgery." My heart jumped into my throat, I grabbed my phone and quickly started to text John again.

Sam: John, pls call me!

Sam: It's important, pls I need to know you're ok...  

A frustrated groan escaped my lips, I wanted to throw my phone across the room but I couldn't risk breaking it, it was my only lifeline to him. All I could think was if he's okay and he doesn't answer I'm going to kill him! "Did they say who?" I pleaded to Jess, her head shook no.

My heart pounded against my chest as I tried to call him, I knew dating a Detective meant I could lose him at any moment, that today could always be the last day I ever see him but accepting that every morning when I kiss him goodbye doesn't make it any easier. Tears beaded in my eyes when his voicemail picked up. "Hey it's John leave a message or don't. Whatever, I probably won't even listen to it." The phone beeped in my ear and I hung up.