Chapter 46: A Phantom Killer

Start from the beginning

"Why wouldn't I be?"

A simple question more than capable of enraging the perfect officer of law was asked and Nikolas almost laughed at how red did Blanche's face become.

God, did he love his hobby of pissing off people.

"You have murdered someone and we have proof of it. You forgot your gun nearby as you were running away," he finally spoke making Nikolas start connecting some dots together.

His gun? Certainly, despite being in mafia and CEO and having a bodyguard or two, Nikolas had three guns registered on his name. Those guns were something he always carried around, one or two at time, since one never knew when he could get attacked on the streets.

Usually, a simple knife would do more than enough, but against mafioso it wouldn't.And because London forbid wearing cold weapons around, and Blanche once caught him doing exactly so and has been on his neck for weeks after, so Nikolas became traumatized of cold weapons hence after.

However... He had left his guns to those guys when he went to save Vincent. What a fucking idiot he is!

"Can't be me," he replied. It would only be fair and logical that someone who wasn't really fond of him used that gun to murder someone and put the blame on him.

"Oh, yeah? Why would that be?"

Vincent only stared between the two of them wondering if they'll ever grow up. He's seen those sides of them way too many times than he'd like to have, and it never changed.

He didn't doubt Nik's ability to actually murder someone, however he didn't think that his son was that stupid as to break the treaty he suggested on his own. So, the only option left would be that someone tried to set him up.

But those were only theories.

And he couldn't be sure about anything before he hears Nik's opinion.

"According to rumors when the murder happened and the time I wasn't in possession of my weapons, I couldn't have possibly be present to do it," the moment he left that storehouse, he punched a police officer and ended up in jail.

"Wasn't in possession of your weapon? Don't make this look like you lost it and are innocent," Blanche snorted. Did he think he's a kid and would fall for that?

"But it's true. As of the murder, I got a solid alibi."

"Like what? You disappeared and not a single soul saw you the entire day and night."

"Well, that's because I was here the whole time."

"What?" Blanche turned to the other policemen in the room and they all nodded their heads.

"He's saying the truth. Since noon, he's been behind those bars for using violence against a police officer. As of that murder, it happened during the night. We're all witnesses that the guy here is innocent." It was Buck who spoke first as Vincent only tilted his head in confusion while Blanche seems to have lost the ability to speak.

"What?" he asked as Nikolas grinned at him like a devil. It was a face that was saying: "you think you're all high and mighty, don't you? How does it feel to make a foot out of yourself? Good, huh? Yes, I'm feeling good, how about you" all in once, it was unbelievable that a human face could manage all that with a simple grin and shine in its eyes.

Yet, there was Nikolas. Successfully pissing off the most composured and proud police officer in entire city that has blank history of fighting with someone.

"That's impossible, who brought him in?"

"Sir!" Edgar yelped, "It was me who arrested him, he had used violence against me and—"

"What time?"

"A-around 14:15, sir."

The body has been found around nine in the night, and estimated time of the murder has been around six. If Nikolas indeed was had been in the jail the whole time, then what in the world had happened?

Whichever fool would dare raise conflict between the two leading mafia families in entire city without fearing the consequences? Blanche wasn't blind, he knew of Nik's real identity, but because his family wasn't really causing problems, but solving them instead and keeping others in check, he couldn't really deal with it. Yet he could NOT accept that someone as vile and twisted as that man was allowed to roam free when he has indeed committed a crime or two (nor to mention charges for traffic rules that he had to overlook because of who Nikolas was and even Blanche's superiors were protecting him). He knew that Nikolas probably used his position to get rid of people standing on his way, but there were never enough proofs for that.

"You got away this time, I'll visit you later at home once we've called off the warrant for you. Since it seems that someone is trying to set you up, we have to find out who is it. Hope you'll cooperate, this time." He purposely voiced "this time" out since Nikolas seemed to forget the meaning of word "cooperation" whenever Blanche was involved.

He hated it, but Nikolas was necessary existence to London. Even so, he was adamant on putting him in jail so much that that he was focusing every bit of his power on finding a single loophole in Nikolas' actions.

"Can't promise. Might go to the mountains or something later so I won't be available at home," Nikolas, of course, just had to rub more salt on his words.

Butting his lips in frustration before sighing in anger, Blanche only ignored his comment before turning around and leaving that place. Vincent, who was watching everything from side could only proudly nod at his son.

He raised him well, alright.

"Thanks for coming to get me out guys," Nikolas spoke as Edward only shook his head. To think that he didn't get to sleep the entire night with Daniel for such trivial matters — he really contemplated of killing Nikolas.

After everything was settled and Nikolas was released from jail, he put his coat on before stepping outside. At that moment, recalling words Blanche said earlier, Edgar realized something.

"Wait," he suddenly spoke as he turned to him, "T-the murder he spoke about... Certainly, it can't be the one Buck just told us about, right?"

Nikolas, who's pretty much grown fond of those guy so much that he was even willing to find the one who set him up and give him to those guys instead of killing him, only smiled at his new friend.

"B-because that would make you the R-r-r-raiders boss, right?"

"I wonder about that. Thanks for the place to sleep and breakfast, hope we can repeat this in the future without me causing accidents. And sorry for the bruise, again."

With that, he only turned around and headed towards Vincent and the others who waited for him at the entrance.

He had a lot of work to do now.

At that moment, Buck who has been searching in the database info on Nikolas and just heard every word that those guys exchanged, spoke as if confirming that they had just indeed arrested the boss of the biggest mafia family in London.

"You gotta be fucking kidding me!"