Chapter 42: Plan That Backfired

CHAPTER 42:
PLAN THAT BACKFIRED

             Just as he ended the call, Nik took off his shoes before leaving them in the middle of the room, then pulled out some money from his wallet and placed it in Kaley's hands.

"Alright Kaley, this is serious," he started and she only nodded at him, watching him with the same green eyes he had.

"This is money for the food. You have one thousand bucks," she nodded again, "That will keep you fed for the entire day, at least."

"Okay."

"That's twenty-four hours, okay?"

"Okay."

"You and Alis can survive on your own with that, okay?"

"Okay."

"I have to live you on your own now, okay?"

"Okay."

"Vincent is in trouble, so if anyone asks about him, you say that, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good. Now I'm going to sleep and no one will bother me, okay?"

She paused for a moment and he raised an eyebrow. It should have been followed by an "Okay", right?

"But Vincent is in trouble?" she asked and he mentally cursed. He should've skipped that part.

"You see, Kaley... We all get to those parts of our lives where we're in some kind of trouble. Vincent isn't an exception and now he is dealing with some matters both of us have been through in our lives." Because it was totally normal to get kidnapped nowadays.

"What exactly is that problem about?"

"Middle age crisis, it doesn't matter, Vincent is just a late bloomer," why do women question men too much?

"Okay." So now he gets the bloody okay?!

"Anyway, it isn't the first time Vincent has been in this kind of situation, so he is going to be fine. You have nothing you should worry about, just feed yourself and stuff that other midget that came with me so that we can roast her for Christmas. I love you, good night." And with that he kissed her forehead before heading towards the stairs leading to his room when his phone began to ring again. Dammit, he was so close!

He sighed and shook his head before continuing to climb, but at that moment Daniel came bursting through the front doors with two older men behind him. Vincent's right and left hand, Hunter and Ian.

Both men were in their late forties or so, wearing business suits as of its expected of them since they still worked in the company. Hunter was bulky and bald, he always had that serious expression on his face and dark, grey eyes that you could never guess that he was Daniel's father. The two had nothing alike, he looked more after his mother. Because Hunter and Vincent were friends from long ago, it explains how Nikolas came to know Daniel his entire life. Dani, who was younger of two, was usually left in Nik's care who could even properly take care of a cactus, much less of a baby.

But whatever, point was — they somehow managed to make it through their childhood and now they turned out to be two responsible adults... Or something that should resemble those.

Ian was... Well, Ian. You know those prestigious families where there's always one child with incredibly blond and wavy hair and golden eyes? The one that screamed nobility in whose presence you'd feel just like a dirty peasant? That always walked with grace and had zero flaws in everything he did, and even if he were to get stained with blood or mud, he'd still look like he was from another world?