Chapter 13: 25 Hours

________________

The next day...

________________

You didn't even had half a second to blink.

Bathrobe swinging on your shoulder, you sprinted out of your bedroom. Of course you would wake up late for work.

"Morning,"

You didn't expect to hear such a casual greeting from your coworker.

Abruptly stopping, you turned around, stared at him in disbelief and greeted back,

"Well, a pleasant morning to you too, Dazai-san." You emphasized the word pleasant, standing in tiptoes to match his bored look.

"Easy now, (Y/N)," He sets his coffee cup on the table beside him. His gaze remained on the window pane that had been moistened with a light drizzle of this Tuesday morning. His arms are crossed on his bare white shirt. "Would you like a cup of coffee?" He asked you, his voice in an unusual monotone like of a programmed robot's.

Your forehead creased. "I would love a cup of coffee, but you see, we're both late for work."

"Ah, work."

"Yes, Dazai-san, work." You pointed at the wall clock. "See? 7: 15 AM. 15 minutes late for work. Now if you would excuse me, I'm taking a ba-- Wait a minute,"

And then as your eyes widen at the unmoving wall clock,

"It's not ticking. Is it broken?"

"Look here, (Y/N),"

You made your way beside him and then looked at what his eyes are fixed on. Normal dew drops would slip quickly down the glass. Water dripped ever so slowly on the other side of the pane. You pushed open the window. The air whizzed past your ear and inside the room as you tilt your head up. Your mouth hung wide open at the sight of the slow descent of rain.

"The heck...?"

The wind too seem to be also be affected. Thrusting your arm out of the window, you felt the unsettling slowness of the breeze flicking past your skin. Even the silence is deafening. Not even the rustling of leaves could be heard.

Then a phone vibrated.

__________

The streets are frighteningly empty when you and Dazai hurried to the agency. The skies are dim and the abnormal rain kept falling. And then there's the silence. The eerie silence that made your knees tremble. Sure, your rhythmic steps could fill in the muteness of your surroundings but it wasn't enough.

'Shut the fuck up, silence.' The thought was barely audible inside your head with the steady ringing in your ears. Dizziness obscured your sight along with tears that began rushing rapidly down your paling cheeks.

And then you remembered why the silence needs to be killed right away.

The phobia kicked in at last. You suddenly felt the urge to scream, but the sudden flip of your gut held you back and your throat tightened. Cold sweat beaded on your forehead and you tightly closed your eyes, tried to think of anything but with no luck, you ended up losing your balance--