Chapter 6: IDK What to Call This Chapter

_____11: 20 AM JST_____

Meanwhile at the Agency

_____________________

"... a distorted leg, dislocated bone sticking out of the arm's flesh and bullets peppering his body." Dr Yosano finished, placing her report on the table. "Say no more, Naomi. Say no more."

Naomi tightly shut her eyes and leaned back on her seat. "I'm just glad my brother is still alive." She looked at the doctor and smiled weakly at her. "Thank you, Yosano-sensei."

"That's my job." Dr Yosano smiled back.

"If only, you were able to manipulate V while Nakahara is chasing her," Dazai pointed out for the fourth time. "You could've avoided warzone."

"What's done is done, Dazai." Kunikida said.

"It's my fault," Naomi's eyes brimmed and she hurriedly wiped her tears off. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have agreed on chasing V. It's just that, my brother is right. We could be able to corner her then snatch the safe from her... but we didn't expect the mafia's firing squad to be in position when we got there."

"It's no one's fault." Kunikida comforted her, shooting Dazai a glare in the process. "To begin with, we didn't even know that V is an ability-user. Thus, we weren't able to make such precautions."

Naomi nodded.

"Hey, Naomi, I didn't mean it that way." Dazai scratched the back of his head, an apologetic smile on his face. "I'm sorry I made you feel bad about it."

"Ah, It's actually okay, Dazai-san." Naomi sniffed. "You're a nice person and I'm sure you didn't mean to make me guilty."

"Alright," Dazai straightened. "So, now that we know who this Underground Victor really is, what do we do next?"

Everyone turned to the snoring Ranpo who is sitting at the far edge of the table.

Dazai clapped once. "Aha! Is that a marshmallow I see in the middle of the table?"

"I'm awake, idiot." Ranpo lazily informed him. "I was just trying to nap but you all are too noisy. God, not even a great detective like me could take his rest."

He sighed and shifted on his seat, propping his elbow on the table and pressing his cheek on his palm. "A drive that special could only be accessed through special servers. Assumingly, it contains so many confidential records and war blueprints it could weigh lots of terabytes-- hmm... about fifteen? Twenty? A hundred terabytes?" Yawning, he leaned back, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "The mafia could have heavy-duty servers. The military police should have one too. And of course, we have dozens. If she's a hacker herself-- which is more likely true, then she could have her own. But I doubt she's able to risk being tracked.

"V couldn't possibly go on a field trip on either three system units including ours. So,"

Finally opening his eyes, he turned to Kunikida. "Kunikida, do you see where I am heading at?"

Everyone then turned to Kunikida who had been silently listening to Ranpo, carefully sorting out genuine possibilities as the detective speaks.

Kunikida pushed back his spectacles. "I do, Ranpo-san."

"As expected, of course you do." Ranpo closed his eyes again. "Now, all of you let me take a break."

Everyone filed out of the conference room except Kunikida and Dazai.

"It's that kid you're looking after, right?" Dazai asked.

Ranpo gave him a loud hush.

The brunet rolled his eyes.