Chapter 8: Reunion

"By the look of your face, I could tell that you really are planning to fail this yet again." My superior shook her head in dismay as I stare at her bewildered. "And then spare her."

"No, it's just that—"

"Well, technically that's what we're planning to do."

Five seconds passed like the devil's hour as I try to contradict what she just said.

"What?"

As soon as we turned to a dark alley that seemed to be a shortcut, silence and darkness enveloped us.

"You see, Devon, my loyalty was never to Mori or Koyou. It's to the Mafia itself." She stated. "But since your clan announced threat, all blame was forced on you."

"I'm well aware of that. But then where are we heading at?"

"Mori told me to send you out to V's destination."

"Yeah, that's given. And then?"

"You'll squeeze all what she know."

"Uh-huh... And then we kill her, right?"

We emerged from the alley and into some company building's lot.

"Nope, they'll kill you. Once you and she are surrounded by the Black Lizard, they'll waste no time to kill both of you."

I gaped at her. I almost thought that we both crashed to a wall. She must be kidding.

But her expression says so that she's not.

"I know everyone wants to kill me but why are you telling me this?" Hand quivering, I clasped her shoulder. "You know this will only get you in trouble right? Hey?" I tried to throw her an arrogant smirk but my lips only managed a scared smile.

She finally looked at me with those cold eyes. "I know. But if you're killed and this continues, the Mafia will be the one to get in trouble."

"It's in his mind, in Mori's, once you were killed, revenge to your clan is acquired. The Goddovians will be left with no heir and no future. You may be not as allegiant as any heir but you are what they depend on. Without you, their efforts on 'globalization' will be wasted. When you're killed, a day won't pass without them striking back and killing more than what they were asked to kill and I bet it would be the end of the Mafia."

"Damn it all to them." I pressed my hands to my face, teeth grinding in annoyance.

"Exactly. Now, listen, Koyou and I managed to think this through. We will spare the both of you because you could be of use in ending further threat—and because we don't want your clan getting to our sorry asses right away because we killed you. I don't know what she's planning ahead of me but what I know is that you will have separate escapes. Don't mess this up."

"Please, just don't mess this up. For the meantime, hide somewhere and wait for instructions."

Rolling my eyes, I wore my hooded coat and got out of the car. Smoke filled in my senses as I glance around the lot. Suddenly, the shadows draped the moonlight around me. The building in front tilted like a domino block.

"Top to bottom is blocked. Just head to the entrance and Tachihara will welcome you openly."

"Yea, I bet he will."