Thirteen

I'm not going to go into full details about how Kev, Goodie, Angel and I stuffed ourselves on Sugar Plums and mainly tried to distract ourselves while Trixie the Ice Queen cut her newest victim up like a Hallowe'en pumpkin. We try very hard to block out her screams and not look at her.

Eventually, Angel has it and shouts, "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" She throws a knife, and it hits Barsotti in the forehead. There's the brief, sick sound of her bones cracking, then, she stops moving.

"What did you do?!" shrieks Trixie.

"I did what was right!" Angel roars back. "She's not an animal!"

The two argue back and forth, while us boys simply roll our eyes.

As it turns out, all that work, and all those lives, were for nothing. The Gold Miner Hunters refuse to bear arms. However, they agree to launder us $2 575 000 in gold, and $350 000 in weaponry and armour.

And when we leave to try and reach out to the Guardians of the White Flame, we have to stop in half an hour due to the dark...and our exhaustion.

Yet again, we set up camp in the middle of the wild. Nobody wants to take night shift, so I'm forced to.

"Truth or Dare, Darling Angel?" I ask, playing with my old sickle. Thanks to the Tournament, I now have two.

"Dare, my sweetest sugar face."

"I dare you to kiss your crush, honey dumpkins."

Angel gulps. Kev's face remains neutral. Goodie looks delighted. Trixie yells at Helen over the phone.

It seems like forever until she lightly presses her lips to my cheek, and nudges the spinner while Kev smiles and Goodie fanboys.

"Truth or Dare, Kev?"

"Truth."

I speak up. "Would you rather date Trixie, or date Evangeline?"

"Trixie."

"Why?" asks Goodie, already fanboying.

"I have a feeling that Trixie would be easier to get along with, being less of a girly girl, and is smarter than she let's on."

Is Kev a lunatic?

"Truth or Dare?" we all exclaim as the spinner stops.

"Truth?" asks Goodie uncertainly.

Angel smiles. "Who's your-"

She's cut off by an angry Trixie.

"I DON'T EVEN CARE, HELEN! DO I SOUND LIKE I FUCKING CARE?! JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE THE FATHER'S WIFE DOESN'T MEAN I TRUST YOU! THAT'S CALLED TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR POSITION! FUCK OFF, AND STOP THESE CALLS!"

Whoa.

Bleep. She's hung up.

Aaaaaand her phone rings again.

She picks it up. "WHAT?!"

Angel rolls her eyes. "Who do you like, G'win?"

"Fine. There's this girl called Natasha. She's sweet, but Mommy says that I can't be with her because her name in reverse spells out 'Ah Satan'."

"I thought all kids your age have names that end with 'oodie'?" I ask.

Angel gives me a pointed stare. "Goodwin doesn't rhyme with Goodie. Neither does Noodle, nor-"