Chapter 18

“You won’t fall,” she said, laughing. 

She walked over to me with was looked like a sheath for something.  She knelt down next to me and put it around my left thigh.  When stood back up, I reached down and pulled out what was in it. 

“My knives,” I said, looking at one of them.  It looked exactly the same as I remembered. 

“They had them cleaned and polished,” she said.  “They said that’s the only weapon that you ever really like to use.”

“They’re what I was trained with,” I said, putting the one back in the sheath. 

I turned back toward the mirror to look at myself fully suited up.  The leather jacket and pants fit me like a glove, showing off my every curve.  The Directrix symbol was on the right sleeve of the jacket.  The boot just tied it all together, though.  And Bailey was right.  I would be able to fight in them.  They seemed strong enough to even stand up if I were to kick someone. 

“There’s just one more thing,” Bailey said, and grabbing my necklace off the table next to the bed.  She put it around my neck and stepped back to look at me.  “There, now Kade should be really regretting doing whatever he did last night.”

My necklace tied everything together.

“I think I’m ready,” I said, looking back at her.  “I hope you have a good two days off with whoever you’re going to see.”

“How’d you know about that?” she asked, her eyes widening.

“You must have forgotten that I can basically hear everything going on around me now,” I said, and walked out of my room, my heels tapping on the hardwood floors.

Just to test how the heels would work, I ran down the stairs at full speed.  Right when I got down to the bottom, Slayter and Arianna were just walking to the front door.  They didn’t see me coming until I was right there beside them.

“Oh, Rayney, you scared me,” Arianna said, her hand on her heart.  She put her hand down and looked me over.  “You look very…ready for a fight.”

I laughed.  “I’m not the one who picked out the outfit, believe me,” I said.  “It’s surprisingly well adapted for a fight, though.”  I picked up my leg for her to see my boot.  “Even the heels.”

“You’ll be a very stylish fighter,” she said, laughing. 

Slayter’s eyes looked at my knives in their sheath on my thigh.  “I see Bailey got your knives back from the cleaners,” he said.  “We knew that those are what you’d rather fight with.”

“Yes, thank you,” I said.  “I fight better with them.”

“We know,” he said.  “We’ve seen you in action.”  He opened the door.  “Now, since you’re obviously ready, I’ll be taking you to the hangar off of Headquarters.  That’s where you’ll be meeting everyone.  Kade’s already down there with the Guards and everyone else, so we should be going.”

“Be safe, Rayney,” Arianna said, giving me a hug. 

Once Slayter and I walked toward where they kept their cars, I noticed something else in the driveway. 

“Can I take Kade’s bike?” I asked.

Slayter laughed.  “Sure, but he might not be that happy about it,” he said.

“Oh, I don’t think he’ll mind,” I said, smiling. 

“I guess I’ll meet you at Headquarters,” he said.