Chapter Fifty One

Start from the beginning

I step out, dry off and change into a denim skirt and my converse-branded shirt. When I walk into the kitchen, my eyes settle on Hayden sitting at the table, looking extremely uncomfortable. My mum has her hands on her hips.

"So, do you often shower together when I'm not home?" she asks me, pursing her lips.

I let out a sigh.

Here comes another pregnancy talk.

***

I settle against the hard strips of bark on the tree, as I scroll through different apartments, houses and units available for rent in Sydney.

Taking a long slurp of my apple juice popper, I aimlessly scroll, feeling a little deflated at the high rent prices. I keep reminding myself that I have Hayden to halve rent with, or if we go into a share house, also Harvey and Caitlyn.

A shadow crossing over me causes me to glance up. Harvey collapses heavily to my side, his aftershave washing of me delightfully. 

"Hi best friend."

"Hey," I greet. "How's it going?"

"Better," he replies, drawing his knees to his chest, loosely hanging his arms over his knees. "I think I've convinced mum to let me go to Sydney with you. She wants to have another dinner but I said no way."

"Not doing that again, sorry. The first time was bad enough."

"I know, that's why I said we're not interested."

"Thanks. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, have you got a suit for the formal yet?" I ask, locking my phone and placing it on my thigh.

"Not a good one."

"I'm taking Hayden shopping for one soon, want to tag along?" 

"Yeah sure. You have much better taste than me, anyway."

"Not going to argue with that," I tease, gently punching his arm.

"How are you going with exam prep?"

I let out a sigh, absently playing with the bottom of my braided hair. 

"Okay, I guess. I'm behind in class so that makes it hard."

"Do you want to do some study together? I'm ahead in everything."

"Of course you are," I reply with an eye roll. "But that would be amazing, if we could."

"We have a few weeks until exams. Why don't we aim for two or three afternoons a week?"

I groan. "Studying after swim practise? I'm going to be exhausted."

"It's only for a few weeks. You need to pass everything to go to Sydney," he points out.

"You're right. I know."

"What are you doing for your free next?"

"Was going to go over my History notes."

"I'll come with. Library?"

"Sounds good." I smile.

The warning bell rings overhead and I reluctantly get to my feet.

Most seniors have a free period next, which means we have fifty minutes of spare time, before our next class. I usually would just lounge around in the sun, but considering my exams are fast-approaching, I thought I better start revising.

As we enter the hallway, I notice Hayden throwing his textbook carelessly into his locker.

"I'll go get Caitlyn and meet you there?" Harvey suggests.