Chapter Forty Nine

-------------------------

Dedication: Claynyss for the awesome cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"Thank you for making this day one I will never forget," I whispered.

He turned to me, a drunk smile on his lips. "Just wait for tonight."

I rolled my eyes. I should have known he would say something like that.

As I sat back, watching the T.V, I found myself smiling.

Today had been perfect.

-------------------------

"Are you ready for this?"

"Yes."

"No matter what happens, we will work it out."

"I know. Good luck."

"Good luck to you, too," Hayden smiles, leaning forward and giving me a warm, strong hug.

He tried to step back but I grip him a little harder, before finally releasing him, having needed that little moment more of reassurance.

Today is the swim competition that the scouts are coming to. I'm hopeful I can get into the University of Sydney with my grades and swimming times. A scholarship isn't entirely necessary for me. I'm more nervous for Hayden, although he is one of the best swimmers I've seen.

With a fist-bump, we part ways. Hayden jams his earphones in and I can hear his music blaring from where I am standing. I do a few warm up stretches, trying to bring myself into focus.

Mia walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder. I meet her eyes and she sends me a small smile.

"Good luck."

"Thanks Mia, good luck to you as well," I reply leaning in giving her a brief hug, surprising us both.

We continue our warm up and it isn't long before they are calling us out. As I walk, I give Harvey and Caitlyn a big grin to show that I am fine, before going over to the bench to get myself organised. As Principal Mathers begins his speech, I shrug out of my jacket and slide my goggles and cap on.

My eyes searched the crowd, landing on two men sitting side by side, wearing suits, clipboards in their hands. I look away quickly, trying to not think about it too much.

It feels like seconds later when my age group is getting called. With my legs feeling stiff, I walk to the mounting blocks and climb up, my fingers twitching in anticipation.

I close my eyes and inhale the strong, chlorine scent that is lingering in the air. I let myself listen to the chatter of crowd, the gentle sound of the water lapping the wall where the mounting blocks are and the sounds of footsteps walking on the cold concrete.

My time is up.

Once I am in the water, I feel my nerves fuel me into moving harder and faster. The cold water, the limited sound when I am beneath the surface and the energy I feel pouring out of me is reassuring in more ways than one. Every time I swim, I realise how much I love it.

As I sit on the bench, a few races later, my wet hair falling limply down my shoulders, I watch Mia. Me, Hayden and Mia had all gone exceptionally well so far, placing first in every race. It was then I realised, it was probably us three that the scouts were watching.

Hayden came over to me, collapsing beside me, offering me a smile. "Hey."

"Hey yourself."

"Did you see who's here?" he asks me, looking annoyed.