Chapter Thirty Six

------------------

Dedication: Call_Me_Mango for the amazing gifs of Hayden and Grace! Thank you!

Recap:

Before I could speak, an automated voice reached my ears.

"A prisoner from Silverwater Prison is trying to contact you. Do you accept the charges?"

My eyes widened as the phone slid from my hand.

What the hell did I just do?

------------------

Hayden walks back into my room, carrying two plates with pizza on it

He sits, placing the plates in front of us. He glances at me.

"What's up with you? Looks like you've just seen a ghost."

I swallow, not quite able to speak yet. My mind is racing. Hayden's father is in prison?

What did he do? How long has he been there? When is he due to be let out?

"G," Hayden says to me, gently pressing his finger on my cheek, forcing me to look at him. "What's wrong?"

"I just did something really bad," I whisper. "You're going to be so mad at me."

"Mad at you?" he questions, a frown creasing his forehead.

Slowly, his eyes lowering to his phone that was beside me. He pulls his hand from me, moving back.

"What did you do?"

"I don't know what I was thinking," I whisper, squeezing my eyes shut. "I'm so sorry."

"Grace," he says slowly. "I won't be mad, just tell me."

"Your phone rang," I choke out, slowly opening my eyes. His lips spread into a thin line. He nodded, telling me to go on. "I answered it. It was your dad trying to contact you... I think."

He nods, his face not giving away what he was feeling. "Prisoner from Silverwater, by any chance?"

"Yeah."