2 Hermione

Hermione De Loite Granger decided enough was enough. Her marriage was over. No point trying to delay the inevitable. She looked at her hand and stifled a small cry. Silently she removed the ring from her finger and slipped it back into a black velvet box. She turned to her wardrobe and continued taking out her clothes and not too carefully threw them into a trunk. She sighed and blew a sharp breath when she heard her name being called.

"'Ermione? Are you 'ere?"

"Yes" she replied flatly "I'm in the bedroom". Charles De Loite moved up the stair with lightening speed. His beautifully chiselled features and lithe body had always been an attraction to Hermione - that and his sexy French accent - but now it was just a sad reminder of what could have been. His infidelity had quoshed her feelings for him.

"What are you doin'?" He asked as more and more clothes were thrown into the trunk "Plees don't leaf 'Ermione. You know I only 'ave love for you!"

Hermione snorted and turned on him with bitterness in her actions. "You only have love for me? Is that what you told Marielle? Or that other one? Or the rest of them??" Her eyes flashed and for a minute he thought she was going to hex him. "You promised me your love and your faithfulness when we took our vows and yet... yet within six months you couldn't keep it in your pants!!"

"'Ermione! Ma cherie! You know I am French." He pleaded, as if his country of birth was justification for his affairs "It is not unusual to take a mistress...". He didn't see the hex coming. When he came to some hours later, Hermione, and her belongings had gone. All that was left was the velvet box containing the ring.

.o0O0o.

Hermione Granger (She now dropped the French part of her surname) walked from the small village of Hogsmeade up the winding hill towards the familiar sight that was Hogwarts Castle. A happiness bubbled up in her and she took a deep breath as the castle came into view. She could have apparated to within the castle walls but she would never tire of seeing the pure breathtaking splendour and magnificence that had been her home for so many happy years.

Looking up she noted parts of the castle had been rebuilt since the war but parts still held a number of battle scars. Hermione sighed "we're all a bit scarred these days" she said quietly to herself. Her thoughts immediately went to Harry and Ron, who now worked as Aurors in Australia. Their career choices had taken them as far away as possible from Hogwarts and that had helped their mental healing. Harry was now married to Ginny with a child on the way and Ron had a girlfriend called Daisy who was a professional Quidditch player and always laughed at his jokes. Both men had found peace. Harry had asked Hermione to come to Australia when she told him of her impending marriage fail but she politely declined. For Hermione, there was only one place she wanted to be and if she allowed herself complete honesty only one person with whom she wanted to be with.

She was brought back to earth by her name being yelled and a familiar sight running towards her. A smile lit up her face.

"Neville!!!" She shouted back and dropped her briefcase. Neville met her and enveloped her in a huge hug and swung her around, off her feet. Eventually he stopped and after planting a big kiss on her forehead set her back down on the ground.

"Hi Hermione" he said with a huge grin on his face. He held her at arms length as if to get a good look at her "You look... well". She knew he was being polite. These few months since leaving her husband had taken its toll on her. She'd lost weight and her eyes no longer sparkled. He, however, looked fabulous! Hermione couldn't fail to notice how he'd gone from a clumsy, chubby and shy boy into an extremely handsome young man - fit and toned and with an air of new found confidence. Hermione smiled at him. It really suited him. Neville picked up Hermione's briefcase and she linked her arm with his.

"How's Luna, Nev?" She asked him as they walked through the port cullis.

"Fabulous!" he smiled down at her. "She's a trained healer now and works with Poppy Pomfrey. We're getting married in April. Luna says April is the best month not to get jinxed by Snargwarblers!"

Hermione raised an eyebrow and looked up at the tall man on her arm. He looked back at her and laughed. "Yeah" he giggled "I've no idea what they are either!"