Sarah & Jimmy

A back alley. Trash is littered about. A pile of clothing lies in the center. SARAH, a raggedly dressed woman, enters carrying a beat-up knapsack and leading her equally ragged brother JIMMY by the hand. He is severely retarded, unable to speak or even respond - a walking vegetable.

SARAH  Here Jimmy, we can sleep here. (Spies the clothing, leads JIMMY over)   Look Jimmy, new clothes! (Puts her pack down, picks up a vest) My! This is nice, don't you think?

     JIMMY stands, weaving slightly, staring at nothing. Lifting his arms, SARAH puts    the vest on him, steps back.

SARAH  Don't you look handsome!

       JIMMY stands, head to the side, arms still in the odd position SARAH bent them to put on the vest. He is like a mechanical doll, able to flex in many positions - with no will of his own. SARAH gently straightens his arms to his sides, leads him to the wall.

SARAH  Sit.

       SHE holds his hand in hers and taps the back of his knees with her other hand. JIMMY buckles his legs, sits against the wall, staring vacantly. SARAH goes to the clothing, rummages through.

SARAH   Funny - people leaving such nice things lying about. (Holds a pair of pants in front of herself) I think these might fit. Do you think these will fit, Jimmy?

     JIMMY sits staring into space. She tries on the pants over her clothing. They are much too big.

SARAH  Yes, they seem to fit. (Rolls up the pants legs) There! Aren't these nice, Jimmy?  (Spins around to show him, the pants falling to her ankles.)  Oh! This will never do! (Walks over to pile, rummages, picks up a pair of suspenders) Here we are! (Goes to JIMMY, holding her pants up with one hand, holds out the suspenders) Help me with these, please?

     JIMMY sits, unresponsive. SARAH turns away from him and fastens the suspender buckles to the front of the pants.

SARAH  This is a stroke of luck, isn't it Jimmy? Now we have something nice to wear to the wedding. Are you almost done back there? (Peers behind her) Jimmy! You are such a lazy bones. You sit there like a bump on a log!  (Bends around, fastening the rear buckles) King Jimmy, I think I'll call you - King of the World! (Bows) And I am the Princess Sarah, your loyal servant. (Sits next to JIMMY, hugs him) You have always been my king, dear brother. Ever since I was a tiny little girl. I think poor Mama was jealous of you. 

"Sarah, don't touch Jimmy!" 

"Why not, Mama?" 

"Because it frightens him!"

"He doesn't look frightened, Mama."

"Hush, young lady! Leave him alone!"

I probably shouldn't tell you this, Jimmy, but I don't think Mama liked you very much.  (She turns JIMMY's head to face her) I like you, King Jimmy. You know that, don't you? Did I tell you I used to sneak into your bedroom when Mama wasn't watching? I would tiptoe up to your crib and look at you. You were so big, I wondered why Mama kept you in that little cage. I guess so you wouldn't fall out and hurt yourself. (Strokes JIMMY's face) Mama didn't think anybody was in there, Jimmy. She thought you died when you were born. I know you're there, Jimmy. I know you'll always be there for me. You'll take care of your little sister, won't you? (Searches his blank face for a moment) Are you hungry? Yes?

       SARAH goes to the knapsack, brings it back, sits down, looks through it, pulls out a jar of baby food and a plastic spoon. She unscrews the cap, dips in the spoon, and places it to JIMMY's lips. He opens his mouth and swallows.

SARAH  I am so excited about tomorrow, Jimmy! Aren't you? Everyone will be so surprised! Do you think Mama will remember us? She must be eighty by now! (She spoons food into JIMMY's mouth as she talks) Imagine getting married at that age! Mama doesn't even like men! She told us that, didn't she? "Never talk to strangers", she'd say. Like when we'd go shopping with her and I would push you in your stroller? She always made us wait outside - remember, Jimmy? 

"Sarah, sit on this bench and watch your brother."

"Yes Mama."

"And don't talk to anyone." 

"What if they talk to me?"

"Don't sass me, young lady. I've told you before - be like your brother - ignore them."

That was about the only time she would tell me to be like you, Jimmy. I think she was disappointed you didn't talk more. Or at all. I always know what you want, Jimmy. You speak to me loud and clear. Are you full?

     SARAH places the empty jar beside her, wipes the spoon on her shirt, puts it back into her knapsack. She gently straightens JIMMY's head, wipes his mouth with her sleeve.

SARAH  Mister Rodriguez thought so too. He said you are an old soul, a person who rises above it all. He said you are very wise, Jimmy. You just don't brag about it. Mama never understood that. Do you think she'll be glad to see us? I hope so. She probably tried to send us an invitation, but we've been hard to find, haven't we, Jimmy? We've been gone so long. We've had some good times, huh, Jimmy? We've met some fine people in our travels. As nice as Mister Rodriguez. You remember him, don't you? He would talk to us while Mama went shopping. I would be on the bench and you would be in your stroller and he would sit and talk to us. We could never ignore Mister Rodriguez, could we, Jimmy? He was such a nice man. He would say such nice things. He would hold my hand and tell me how pretty I was, and what a good little girl I am to be taking care of my brother. He liked you too, Jimmy. He would shake your hand, remember that? Like this: (Picks up JIMMY's hand, shakes it) "How are you, today, James?" he'd say. "And how are you, Sarah?" Then he'd kiss me. (Turns JIMMY's head towards her.) Right here.

     SHE pecks him on the forehead, then straightens his head and places his hand back to his side.

SARAH  Such a nice man. I wonder what happened to him? I wish Mama hadn't seen him kissing me. She screamed and screamed. The police came and took Mister Rodriguez away. We never saw him again, did we? Mama said he wanted to do bad things to me. I didn't think so. He always seemed so nice. Mama just doesn't like men. I wonder why she's getting married? (Reaches in knapsack, pulls out folded section of newspaper, reads out loud) "Mister James R. Collingwood." James! Same as you, Jimmy. See, here's his picture, next to Mama. (Holds paper in front of JIMMY's face, pulls it back, studies it) He's very handsome. Mama sure looks skinny. I wonder how old she is now? (Ponders a moment) I forget how old I am. Whatever that is, you are three years, four months and two-and-a-half days older, Jimmy! (Studies newspaper)  I hope the preacher gives a good sermon and blesses their marriage. Mama deserves be happy. She always tried so hard. Maybe there is a pretty hat I can wear! (Goes to clothing pile, searches) No. (Studies newspaper) They look so handsome together. Do you think she'll remember us? I hope we can find the church.  I hope I look nice. You look very handsome in that vest, Jimmy. It suits you. (Holds her stomach) I bet there'll be good things to eat. That will be nice. (Pause) I hope Mama remembers us. (Pause) Are you tired? You should try and get some sleep.

      SHE goes to knapsack, pulls out a tattered blanket, sits next to JIMMY, pulls him onto her lap and covers him with the blanket.

SARAH  Good night, King Jimmy. Sleep tight. (Strokes his cheek) We've a big day tomorrow!

                                ********************************