16

(Ender)

I watched helplessly as Petra slides the IV into Elena's wrist. Bean is taking over the pod, looking back every once and a while with concern written on his face.

Elena reached over and took my hand, then squeezed. I knew that the poison has taken up most of her body, wiping out sight, hearing, touch, and probably taste already. Next, her organs will fail and ever so slowly her heart with beat slower... Until its not beating at all.

"Ender." Petra crouches down to look me in the eyes. I continue to stare at Elena. "We have the pump ready an hopefully it'll get all the poison out." Petra doesn't say anything for a moment. "Get some sleep."

"I can't." Tears sprang in my eyes. "It seems everything I touch I only destroy it. And if I love it even more, then worse the damage. If only I never got into Battle School and commanded the IF, if I wasn't born, Elena wouldn't have to go through this." I didn't realize that I was violently shaking. I've never cried this much in my life.

Bean gets up and sits next to me. "I remember her. On the streets."

"What?"

"She was so lonely and afraid. Reminded me of myself. But I wasn't scared. For maybe a year I watched over her, gave he whatever food I had even if it meant not eating for a week. Hen she woke up, magically food appeared. It so much to me." Bean strokes her arm. "I've always wanted a little sister. Someone to look after and love. And seeing her.. Like this." Bean's voice cracked. "She never even knew me."

"Bean..." Petra says quietly. We all knew that Bean was one tough nut to crack.

Bean gets up and walks back to the front of the pod. Watching the rise and fall of Elena's chest gave me hope.

A sliver.