11

"Fuck." I mutter under my breath. Above Ender is fighting for his own life, now I have to fight for mine. Clenching my fists, I slowly back away. The scorpions pinchers come at me, barely snagging my back as I dodged. I reach for my gun, then realizing that it was left back at the Battle School.

If I could run to the pod and somehow manage to fly with whatever fuel, then I could fly up and get Ender.

At the same time, there's a really small chance that I would make it.

I remind myself how crazy I am, and I start running. The scorpion is fast, maybe faster than me, but it stays behind me. Not trying to attack me at all.

Finally, the pod comes into view. The scorpion close on my heels, I press the button that activates the door. As it slowly opens, I climb inside.

Once inside, I pull the door shut. A thump from the scorpion makes the pod jerk.

"Fuel, fuel, fuel." I run around the pod looking for anything that would work as fuel.

Then it hit me.

Literally.

In one of the above compartments, the fuel was leaking out. I reached up and grabbed it, not caring that I got splashed with gasoline. I open the door, even though the scorpion was out there. It was..

Sitting. Sitting like a dog. I slowly poured the fuel in to the pod, watching. When it was empty, I left it on the ground and as I was walking to the door, I turned my back on it.

The scorpion lunged.

The scorpion held me down with its pinchers and stung me on the small of my back. It didn't hurt, just a tingling feeling like when your foot falls asleep. When I regained feeling, I got up without pain. The scorpion left.