4

I didn't believe that Ender got us a private dinner, but I was wrong. His room was candle lit, roses on his desk and on the table in the middle of the room. A white sheet covered the table and fine china set for two.

"I hope it's not too much." Ender says. I sneak a glance at him. He was blushing.

"No.. It's perfect." I smooth my flash suit around my stomach. Ender walks over to the table and pulls out a chair. I sit in the chair and stare at the plates full of roast beef, potatoes, steaming carrots.

Then I noticed the wine.

"I pulled some strings on Earth, luckily they were able to get the food for me. The soup here is kind of.. Bland." Ender sits and folds his hands, looking at me. He grabs my glass and pours the white wine.

"Aren't we.. A little young to drink?" I ask.

Ender laughs. "I'm a commander. And I saved the human race. I get what I want." He hands the drink to me, and I take it from him. "Most of the time." He takes a slow drink.

"How do you.. Handle the rumors?" I lower my eyes, not wanting to meet his empty eyes.

He didn't say anything. I looked up at him and met his eyes. His eyes reflected no emotion. His lips in a tight line. "I ignore them." He licked his lips and picked at the roast beef. "But they're true. I killed an entire species." Ender clenches his fists.

"Ender.. It was for the best. It was them or us." I reach out to touch his hand.

Instead, Ender grabs my wrist and twists it, hate and agony in his eyes. "They weren't going to kill us. They needed a new home. They're planet was dying. They were dying. And I killed them."