Chapter 31

"Open the gates!"

We left Mount Wanea three days ago, coming back over the mountains with newfound vigor. At least on my part. I was just relieved Shae wouldn't be losing her position as leader of the council, no matter how selfish that made me sound. The Guardsmen spotted us as we made our way down the last mountain, swinging the gates wide open as we returned. It was midday, and the streets were bustling with activity as we strode in, the buzzing of the crowds silencing as we passed.

For once, I wasn't the subject of everyone's staring. This time, it was Farok and the five men on horses who trailed behind him. I rode alongside as he shifted uncomfortably under the intense gaze of the crowd.

"Still sure this is a good idea?" He whispered.

"Relax," I said. "It'll be fine. Shae has a lot of power, she'll protect you."

"I don't need protection," he snapped.

"Then why are you nervous?"

"I'm not!"

"Are you sure?"

Farok narrowed his eyes. "Ask me one more time and I'll cut your tongue out, even if it will grow back. At least I'll have just a few moments of silence."

I shrugged, but didn't say anything, instead directing my attention on the sea of silent faces watching us pass. Thankfully, no chunks of cobblestone came flying out of the crowd at me, or any other members of our party. Each face in the crowd was a different reaction; some contorted in disgust while others lit up with curiosity. Mentally, I mulled over every possibility of how this could play out. I was so focused, I had even noticed our arrival to the Cathedral until I almost collided with Farok's horse. He would have scoffed if he wasn't staring up.

I glanced upwards, for the first time truly taking in how breathtaking the Cathedral really was, with its pointed turrets sculpted out of dark stone, each capped with a winged statue of Audral. In the center of the Cathedral was a large, circular stained glass window similar to the ones inside, except several times larger and a kaleidoscope of colors.

"I have to admit," Farok said. "It's impressive."

I smirked back at him.

He scoffed. "But that's coming from someone who's seen nothing but the inside of a volcano his whole life."

I rolled my eyes and dismounted, scampering to catch up with Shae, who was already halfway inside the Cathedral. I caught up behind her, just in time to see the council jump at her arrival. The man in the center of the table shot up from his chair, his face bright red.

"What is the meaning of this?" He shouted at Shae, who calmly approached the table.

"Good afternoon, Councilman Palazzo. Nice to see you again," She said, a playful smile erupting across her lips. "I do hope you remembered our agreement, yes?"

Councilman Palazzo opened and closed his mouth, but no words came out.

"Good," Shae said. "Then allow me to introduce King Farok of the Odaria."

Farok strode in, his face in a permanent scowl, as if he were mentally judging the decor.

"I beg your pardon?" A woman at the end of the table asked, her tattooed hands spread across the table.

Shae tapped her head in fake forgetfulness. "My apologies, Councilwoman Diya. I forgot that the knowledge of the Traditional Language has been lost to our people for centuries! This is the leader of the pure bloods, my fellow councilors. This is the key to saving our people."

No one spoke, the air heavy with tension and surprise.

"Close the doors," Palazzo said, cutting through the silence. "Let no one in, save for the council and the two purebloods. This is an emergency meeting."

Shae nodded and signaled the guards at the door. She stepped up on the platform, but did not sit in her center chair. Instead, she motioned for Farok.

"Please, take my seat. I'd rather you join us up here than watch from below like a stranger," She said.

Farok nodded, leaving me alone on the bench my myself. The minute he sat, the council erupted into a shouting match. For once, I was thankful to not be up there.

"This is an outrage!" Palazzo shouted at Shae. "You claim this man is a pure blood but where is your proof? You could have brought anyone in here! What if he's a spy from Inewei?"

An older councilwoman fainted into the arms of the councilman next to her. More screaming. Shae and Palazzo were in each others' faces, the rest of the council taking sides, shouting alongside them. Farok sat quietly in the midst of the argument, picking the dirt out from under his nails as if he had more important things to do. I could feel my frustration beginning to rise, my fists balled so tight my nails had cut into my palms. I snapped.

I jumped up onto the platform and climbed onto the table, standing between Shae and Palazzo. The both drew back in surprise, the other councilors falling quiet. In one swift movement, I drew my dagger and cut the side of Farok's cheek.

"Ow!" He shouted as I wiped my blade clean. Before he could even check the wound, it was gone.

"There, now does that answer your question?" I spat at Palazzo. "You people are being absolutely ridiculous! Shae has successfully formed an alliance between two nations that haven't combined in thousands of years and this is how you repay her? Shameful."

Many of the council members sat down, ashamed.

I puffed air out of my nose, still fuming. "You all need to sit down and talk about this like civilized people! Our lives are at stake here and you would rather argue each other's merits than come to an agreement." I paused to catch my breath, my anger subsiding. "Now what are we going to do about our Beast problem?"

Ironically, no one spoke.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. If no one has any ideas, I'll let you know what I think."

I waited for someone to cut me off, but no one spoke. They were probably still in shock about the fact that I just scolded them all like children. Good.

"Shae, do you know the numbers of the Winoan Guardsmen?" I asked gently.

She shook her head. "San...I was never informed of their recent numbers. You'll have to ask General Pix."

A few council members whispered in response to the indirect news, but no one pressed, thankfully.

"Alright, well would you say it's enough to take down an indefinite amount of unkillable, extremely dangerous Beasts, combined with the forces of Mount Wanea?" I asked.

Shae pursed her lips, mulling it over in her head. "No."

The council murmured in response.

"Then that leaves us with one option," I said. "We need more support. We need an alliance with the other nations."

"Not possible," Palazzo said. "We've tried that for years. Alvion believes us to be full of savages, Tenai'i has stayed neutral, and Inewei won't even trade with us. What makes now any different?"

I smiled. "Now we have bargaining chips. Now, you have someone from Tenai'i to reason with her people. Now you have someone from Alvion with allies on the inside. There's no better opportunity."

Palazzo stroked his beard, deep in thought.

"This could be our only chance," I said. "Farok, what do you think?"

He shrugged. "My people will survive this regardless. It's up to the people of Ekota now."

I turned to the council. "All in favor of an international alliance?"

All hands rose in unison, even Palazzo's.

"Then it's settled," Shae said. "An international alliance will be formed."