Chapter 7

"Oh, I think I'm gonna me sick!" Pix moaned.

"Pix, I swear to Audral, if you throw up anywhere near me, I'm leaving you on Drakkon!" Gavie shouted back.

After they packed all the cages onto the ship, the slavers let us out, as long as we were all still shackled up. Below deck was cramped and nauseating, subduing just about all of us, except Gavie, who was used to the rocking of the ship. Pix was a total mess, repeatedly heaving into the grimy bucket they left behind for us to relieve ourselves in. The trip to Drakkon would take a little over a day, which gave us time to run through the plan a few more times. We were silent for most of the trip, partially because of how uncomfortable we all were, but also because if our plan failed, it could be our last moments of peace.

After almost two days, we could hear yelling from above deck and felt the boat hit something solid. The ship pitched forward and we toppled on top of each other. I hit my head off the floorboards. Sitting up, dazed, I scanned my surroundings. The boat didn't crash, but merely ran aground, because nothing was broken and we weren't taking on any water. Nice to know if we were, we'd be the first ones to drown. Pix had fallen on top of Gavie, and I couldn't help but to laugh. Gavie's face turned the color of his hair and Pix scrambled to get off of him. My smirking was cut short by the sound of heavy boots stomping down the steps.

"Welcome to Drakkon," a slaver said.

The group of us exchanged uneasy looks. Our plan was about to start.

"Single file, above deck! We'll unlock you after you're all on land," he yelled, pointing up the steps.

The nervous captives scurried up the steps, and I made sure to be the last one out. We filed off of the boat onto the sand. The island was small by comparison to others, but was home to dense jungles that started only a few yards in from the ocean. The air was hot and humid. We lined up on the beach shoulder to shoulder, with Gavie next to me. I was the end of the line.

"Wrists," the slavers commanded at the front of the line.

My pulse jumped every time they moved on to the next person. Deep breaths. The slavers got to Pix. Then Gavie.

"Wrists," they repeated.

I calmly held up my free hands. The slaver held up the key, then noticed my wrists. He stared at me in disbelief.

"How-" was all he got out before Gavie punched him in the face.

"To the boat, behind me!" I yelled to Gavie and Pix, as the rest of the slavers were realizing what was happening. They opened fire and the other captives screamed, diving into the the woods. Gavie and Pix hurried in front of me as several bullets lodged themselves into my legs. It hurt as much as getting shot would, but it only took a few seconds for the bullets to pop out of my leg and the wounds to close up. We landed on deck, where I jumped in front of Gavie, who was feverishly working with the ropes. Pix tried her best to help him, but she didn't quite know what she was doing. A few bullets hit me in the chest, but I brushed them off.

"By Audral, Nisa!" Gavie yelled, hopping to the next set of ropes.

"Stop talking and keep working!" I screamed.

The bullets slowed down once the slavers realized I was still in perfect shape. Most fled the boat but I few were still below deck.

"Out, now!" I demanded, calling down the stairs.

Gavie was finishing with the last of the ropes and Pix was helping him hoist the anchor. The last of the slavers scrambled off the deck, but still made some halfhearted attempts to shoot at me. One bullet hit me in the jaw and I recoiled back. It took a little longer than usual to heal, which worried me, but eventually my jaw was back to normal. I had to remind myself that I didn't know the extent of what could heal and what couldn't. Gavie made his way to the wheel and Pix and I followed behind.

"All set?" I asked.

"We should be once I turn the boat around," Gavie answered. "That was the craziest thing I've ever seen!"

I smiled proudly, partly because I finally impressed Gavie, partly because the plan worked. At least, until Pix saw the sword.

"That's my sword," she said, staring at one of the slavers.

I'd never seen her so angry looking. I turned to see one of the slavers on the beach holding a long, thin sword made entirely out of some sort of clear crystal.

"Pix, we need to go," I said, trying to pull her away from the side of the boat.

She wouldn't budge. "That's my sword," she repeated, and jumped over the side of the boat.

"Gavie, we have a problem!" I called, following suit.

"We don't have time for problems!" He yelled back.

I ran behind her, stomping through the sand and taking bullets.

"That's my sword!" Pix shrieked at the slaver holding it.

He was well over a foot taller than her and built like a ox. I couldn't tell who looked more menacing, the giant slaver or Pix.

"You want it? Come and get it," He taunted.

Pix picked up a piece of driftwood and charged in a fit of fury. I'll be honest, I was shocked. She parried his every move, blocking any swing or attempt he made to hit her with her own blade. Pix had the speed, but the slaver had the strength. Back and forth they fought, until Pix had nothing left but a chunk of wood that had been hacked to pieces. She backed up like an animal in a trap as the slaver grinned over her. The sword glinted violently in the sunlight.

Out of the jungle bounded a giant lizard with scales the color of rotten fruit. It was the size of the boat and barreled through the slavers, who tried their hardest to penetrate its scales with their bullets, but it was no use.

"Drakon!" One of the slavers screamed. The drakon followed the glare from the sword and traced it back to the slaver holding it. In one swift movement, the slaver was snatched up in its jaws, leaving the sword behind as the drakon bounded back into the jungle. While the slavers were stunned or injured, Pix grabbed her weapon and me, and hauled us back to the ship. She dumped me on the deck and pulled at a few ropes.

"Go, Gavie, Now!" She screamed.

The sails unfurled and a gust of wind propelled us forward, away from Drakkon.

"Aha!" Gavie yelled from the wheel, grinning like a maniac. "I've missed the sea!"

"I didn't," Pix grumbled. She was cradling her crystal sword, which glinted a million different colors. I sat down next to her.

"I'm sorry I went back to get it," she said, still staring at her sword.

"It's over now," I replied. "Besides, that was the best sword fighting I've ever seen. It'll come in handy."

She smiled sadly. The sun started dipping towards the horizon. I headed below deck to survey what the slavers left behind. The galley was stocked with food, which meant we weren't going to starve on our way to Ekota. By the time I finished exploring and went back up, the sun had completely disappeared and the moon had risen. I stared up at the sky, where millions upon millions of stars glittered above.

"I've never seen so many," I whispered to myself.

"Really?" Pix asked.

"Not in Alvion. There's too many lights," I answered.

She didn't say anything, but stared up with me.

"My parents are two of those stars," I said, breaking the silence.

"I bet Audral is taking good care of them," Pix replied.

"I hope so."

I walked up to Gavie, who was still steering the ship.

"Do you want me to take over?" I asked.

"Goodness, no! This is what I live for!" He proclaimed loudly.

"Makes sense. Also I don't know how to drive a boat anyway. Just thought I'd offer," I said.

Gavie chuckled. "Maybe I'll teach you on the way to Ekota."

"Maybe," I answered, staring at the stars along the horizon. Somewhere out there, I knew my parents were guiding us to Ekota.