Chapter 13

"I probably should have mention that I've never ridden a horse before," Pix said, wobbling into the saddle.

"That's fine, me neither," I replied, jumping with all my might and landing half on the horse's back.

Gavie rode around us in a circle, rolling his eyes. "Shameful."

I pushed myself up into the saddle and tried to get as comfortable as I could.

"I'm from a city, remember? We use cars," I said.

"Oh, I remember, and may I say they sound far more dangerous?" Gavie mused.

Lacing my finger into the reins, I ignored him.

"Thank Audral I changed into pants," Pix said, attempting to move her horse forward.

I had never seen a horse in person before, which sounds ridiculous, but they were only kept on the outskirts of Alvion, the farmland. But from what I could tell, these horses were smaller than the ones in Alvion, and had thicker coats. I steered my horse over to Gavie, just barely missing a collision with Pix.

"Not that I'm a horse expert, but these horses seem different than the ones back home," I said.

"That's because they are. These are Ekotian bred, designed for a colder climate and higher elevation. They'll be able to make through the mountains easily," Gavie explained.

"Mountains?" I asked.

"The Akenu Mountains are the heart of Ekota," Gavie started. "They surround Tomaleya on all sides, save for the ocean to the west. We'll have to cut through them if we want to make it to the capital in a few days."

I stared off at the haze of indigo in the distance, just passing the treetops.

"Luckily, it's not winter for another few months, so there shouldn't be too much snow. But just in case, here," Gavie said, handing me a bundle of cloth.

I pulled it open, to find a simple fleece poncho. Another rested on my lap.

"Give the other one to Pix, will you? She'll freeze in that wrap of hers," Gavie told me, riding away before I could ask any questions.

I trotted over to Pix, who was trying her best to form a connection with her horse, gently whispering in its ear.

"Here," I said handing her the poncho. "It's gonna get cold in the mountains. Gavie says you're gonna need it."

"Thanks," she replied, pulling the poncho over her head.

"Listen," I started, lowering my voice. "Are you and Gavie OK?"

We're fine!" She answered, a little too loud and a little too fast.

I raised an eyebrow. Her face turned red.

"I don't know," she said, dropping her shoulders in defeat. "Maybe? It's complicated, Nisa. We thought you were dead. Gavie was all I had left. Maybe if the circumstances were better..."

She trailed off. I let her collect her thoughts.

"Right now what's important is helping you protect Ekota," She stated. "We can worry about other things after."

I nodded. "Let me know if you wanna talk again, OK?" I said, pulling away.

A large crowd had formed around the gate, and had begun parting for a small party.

Five figures shuffled forward, Ryka trailing behind. Their leader stepped forward, approaching my horse.

"Nisa Kamura, we meet again," The elder woman, her bright eyes still full of a dangerous curiosity.