Chapter 19

"Nisa, that was amazing!" Pix gushed. We exited the Cathedral, rain gently falling onto the city. We must have been down there for hours, as night had set on Tomaleya.

"Really?" I asked, adrenaline still buzzing through my body. "I don't remember much of it." Which was true, I really didn't remember most of what had happened with Sanus and the Winoan Guardsmen. I knew that Pix was better with a sword than I originally thought. I knew I could barely even pick up a sword. And I knew that a dagger was my weapon of choice, because Sanus let me keep it. But I don't really remember how I came to find all of this out.

"Being in combat does that to you," Pix explained. "I have a lot of gaps from street scuffles where I don't remember what happened, other than that I won. The surge of energy in the moment causes gaps during the aftermath."

"Pix, you beat Sanus over thirty times," I replied wistfully. "You bested the general of the Winoan Guardsmen, that's amazing."

Pix smiled modestly as she opened the door to the house. "Honestly, I'm just as surprised as you are. But Sanus was right, it was a little unfair, I'm younger and don't use the proper technique."

I playfully bumped her with my shoulder. "Give yourself some credit. I wonder the last time Sanus was beat by two girls with no practice."

Pix laughed, lighting one of the lanterns on the table.

"Gavie?" I called up the stairs.

No reply.

"I think he went to speak with the traders at the docks today," Pix said. "But he should be back."

Before I could call again, a bell tolled. I glanced at Pix, both of us frozen.

Another toll. I held my breath.

Another.

"Oh goddess, no," Pix breathed, her hand dropping to her sword.

I grabbed the lantern and rushed out of the house, Pix right behind me. We burst through the door to find the piazza bustling with Guardsmen and families. People opened their doors only to be pushed back inside by a Guardsmen. One came over to us, standing in the doorway, a young man.

"Charl?" I asked. It was hard to recognize him under all that armor, but it was definitely the same boy from today.

"Nisa," he said, bowing slightly.

"Save the formalities, what's wrong?" I asked.

"You and Pix need to get to the cellar and lock the doors. Only come out when the bells ring twice," Charl said.

"Are you joking?" Pix asked, gripping her sword. "Move, we're coming to help." Pix tried to slip past Charl, but he blocked her.

"Charl, you need her out there. Besides, I need to protect Shae," I stated.

Charl shook his head. "Strict orders from Sanus, you're not ready. I can't disobey direct orders."

"Then don't," Pix said, tucking her head down and rolling out the door under Charl's arm.

Charl spun around, his back now to me. "Stop!" He called to her but Pix was already lost in the sea of soldiers and civilians.

"Sorry Charl," I said as I slipped out the door while his back was turned.

"Nisa!" He yelled, but I was already plowing towards the Cathedral.

I weaved my way through the masses, Guardsmen running to their posts or directing people into the Cathedral, families being separated, it was chaos. I forced myself into the stream of people flowing into the Cathedral, in hopes of finding Shae in the back room. What I found instead was Shae at the front doors, directing the flow into the Guardsmen training space downstairs.