Chapter 12

Darkness.

I couldn't help but to wonder if I was dead. It was plausible, and actually more possible than my survival. Stupid, stupid, stupid. There goes Ekota's one last hope in a fiery blaze. At least I went out with a bang. And at least Gavie, Pix, and the rest of Krie are safe. Go me.

Nisa.

It was barely a whisper, but I definitely heard it.

Nisa, it's time to wake up. It's time to save your people.

Suddenly, I felt warm. The darkness disappeared and my eyes fluttered open. I shot forward.

"Nisa! Oh, goodness, lay back down, take it easy."

Suddenly Ryka was by my side, guiding my body back into the bed. I stared at her and tried to figure out where I was. The bed was simple, with white linen sheets. Beside it, there was a small table with medical supplies. They were nothing like the ones we used in Alvion. A mortar and pestle sat with a strange green paste inside. Fresh herbs and flowers were hung from the ceiling and in the windows. Warm light shone in, turning the entire room gold.

Ryka sat down on the bed at my feet.

"What happened?" I croaked, my throat dry.

Ryka raised her eyebrows and sighed. "Try to remember."

I furrowed my brows and concentrated.

"There was this creature," I started. "It was attacking the town so I..." I stared down at my arms. My entire body was slightly pink, my clothing singed and full of burn marks. I smacked my forehead.

"Nisa, what were you thinking?" Ryka asked, her voice full of concern. "You could have died."

"I know," I said. "Believe me, I know. I just wanted to protect you, and Gavie and Pix, and the town."

Ryka shook her head. "Nisa, what you did was noble. But incredibly rash. Please, next time, think before you act. Krie is willing to sacrifice a few people for the good of Ekota. Remember that next time you think about becoming a martyr."

She stood up and cleared her medical supplied off the table.

"How are Gavie and Pix?" I asked.

"Alive. Your ash-born friend took quite a beating, but fought well," She said.

"Where are they now?" I wondered.

"The temple. I'll let them know you're awake as soon as I can," she replied.

I sank back into the pillow, staring at the plethora of flowers above. I scanned the sea of petals until I saw them, I tiny cluster of blue.

"You have bluebells," I noted.

"Yes," Ryka answered from the other room. "Good observation."

"They were my mother's favorite," I said.

Ryka came back in, wiping her hands with a cloth, she sat down on the bed, scooping up some of the paste from the bowl. Gingerly, she painted it onto my arms, the cold making me flinch. Her hair in the afternoon sun was the color of fire, like Gavie's.

"If you don't mind me asking, your parents, were they like you? Could they heal?" Ryka asked, switching arms.

"I wish I could tell you, they died before I was really old enough to notice something like that," I said.

Ryka finished with the paste, then began wrapping my arms in linen bandages.

"They most likely were. Pure bloods don't just come from normal parents. Though, I still don't understand how any pure bloods have managed to survive this long," she stated.

After wrapping the other arm, Ryka packed up the last of her supplies and brought them into the other room. The window grew dark as the sun set. Ryka lit a candle.

"Get some sleep. Your friends will be here when you wake," she said.

I closed my eyes and disappeared back into the darkness.

I could hear the faint murmuring of voices. I cracked my eyes open, squinting through the harsh sunlight. Across the room, a small grey figure was slumped up against the wall, while two redheads were talking. I coughed. All three of them turned to me.

"Nisa!" Gavie exclaimed, barreling over, with Pix scampering right behind him.

Pix sat down on the bed, scowling. "Don't you ever do that again!" She scolded me. Her baby face was almost funny with such an angry look.

"I promise," I said, stifling a laugh. She had a few bandages wrapped around her arm and abdomen, but seemed fine. Though she wore the same green wrap around her chest, she had swapped her tattered skirt out for a pair of simple black pants. Her sword was now in a scabbard attached to a belt and she finally had on a pair of shoes, simple riding boots.

"Are you guys OK?" I asked.

"We're fine now that we know you're gonna be alright," Gavie replied.

Ryka stood at the foot of the bed.

"How long until we can leave?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "At the rate you're healing I'd say by tomorrow at the latest."

Gavie and Pix were sitting next to each other on the bed, only inches apart. I reminded myself to ask them about that at a better time.

"Tomaleya," Gavie said wistfully. "I've always wanted to see the capital."

"Dreams do come true," I said sarcastically. "Our first order is to meet with the leaders as soon as possible. Gavie, do you know who's in charge?"

Gavie rolled his eyes. "Nisa, I live here, do you honestly think I don't know who's running the nation?"

I shrugged. "I don't know who's running Alvion, so maybe."

The three of them stared at me.

"What?" I asked.

"You don't know who's running Alvion?" Pix asked slowly.

"Well I know we have a chancellor, but he never leaves his palace. We don't even know his name, we all just call him the Chancellor."

They stared blankly, almost out of fear.

"Nisa, that's a little concerning," Ryka said.

"Alright, well who's in charge here?" I asked, diverting the subject from Alvion and it's issues.

"Easy: The Winoan Council," Gavie said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Elaborate."

"The council is made up of representatives from each town or city. The population of a given settlement determines the number of council members they're allowed. Krie has two, but almost all the assorted villages have only one. Chotel has four, and Tomaleya has six, including the leader of the council," He explained.

"So who do we speak to?" I asked.

"The leader of the council, Shae," He answered. "She's sort of like a queen but with less power, since nothing gets decided unless the majority of council members vote for it. She gives the final verdict, so she's more or less in charge."

"OK, so basically we get to Tomaleya in one piece, speak to the Winoan Council and their leader, Shae, explain ourselves, mention Gavie's parents, and basically go from there," I summarized.

"Sounds about right," Gavie said.

"Pix, does that sound alright with you? You could always go back to Tenai'i," I suggested.

Pix stood up. "No way. I'm in it to the end. There's nothing left for me in Tenai'i. Besides you could use a bodyguard," she said, grasping the hilt of her sword.

"Then it's settled. We head out for Tomaleya tomorrow morning," I said.