Chapter 28

Luckily, my arm grew back by the time we reached the dungeons, just in time for me to have my arms strung up again. It was a strange process to watch, something I really hope I never have to see again.

"Farok, please!" I pleaded. "You have to listen! An alliance is crucial!"

"I don't have to listen to anything, traitor," Farok spat.

I groaned in frustration, the two guards flanking us pulling open the door to the prison cell again.

"We're not traitors! This is life or death. Farok think of your father-"

"Don't you dare speak of my father!" He snapped.

"Nisa, enough," Shae said feebly. It was the first time she had spoke since my fight with Torika. Her hair had fallen out and obscured most of her face, but I didn't need to see her it to know the pain in her eyes.

"We can't just give up," I said.

"You may want to try it," Farok replied, shoving us into the cave.

At the sound of our voices, everyone spoke at once.

"Guy, please, hold on," I said.

Farok had the other guards tied Shae up while he pinned my arms behind my back.

"Farok, you're the king. You have the power to end years of fighting and hatred. You can bring your people, our people, out of the dark and into the world again," I said quietly.

"I trust Torika to know what's right, not you," he snapped, narrowing his eyes.

"Why do you trust her? She just attacked me, her own granddaughter, without a second thought! What if she just wants to take the throne from you?" I asked.

"Enough!, You're wrong and you need to accept that!" Farok yelled.

"No, we're not. Farok, I know you want what's best for your people. So do the right thing. Take back your throne from Torika tell her she's wrong. She obeys you, not the other way around," I coaxed. His grip had lessened and lessened, but my arms were still pinned back.

Several guards ran passed the open door. The two guards in the room exchanged a look with Farok, who passed me over to them, sticking his head out of the cave.

"What's happening?" He called to the guards.

"Naholo!" One responded, running off through the tunnels.

Farok swore under his breath. "You guards, go. I'll finish tying the prisoners up."

The guards ran off, joining the chorus of yells and screams throughout the tunnels.

"Let us fight!" I shouted, struggling against Farok, but he was almost a foot taller than me. "Please, let us help you. We can prove we're here to help, not hurt!"

Farok sighed and gripped my arms tighter. "Please stop struggling, I need to go help."

"Farok listen. If we wanted you dead, I would have killed you already. I could have pushed you off the bridge at any point during our four trips across. But I didn't. We've all lost people to the Naholo. We know that pain. And we want to end it for everyone. But we can't do that unless we protect the Odaria first. Please, just let us help," I explained, a last push to change his mind.

Farok didn't say anything. He watched me intently with his dark eyes, like an animal observing its prey. One hand held the rope, the other my arms, with my dagger at his side. The rest of the cave was silent, watching our exchange in the fire light.

"If I let you help us," he said slowly. "Will you tell Torika to let me rule by myself?"

I knew there was no way Torika would ever listen to me again, but I knew saying yes meant we weren't going to die.