Chapter 29

"Sanus!" Shae screamed, rushing towards with mound of rubble.

Farok stood paralyzed, still in shock, Torika's screams ringing in our ears.

Shae clawed at the pile of jagged stones, tugging to pull them away. "Don't just stand there, help me save him!"

No one moved a muscle. Fires blazed around us as Shae struggled to clear the debris.

"Shae..." I croaked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Help me!" She sobbed.

Pix jogged over, thrusting her sword under the stones and rolling them down off the pile. Shae stared at her, tears streaming down her face, exchanging a silent cry of gratitude.

"Nisa, we need your help," Pix said gently.

I nodded and slowly approached Shae, her hands scraped and bloody. I put my hand on her back, her body shaking, overwhelmed with grief.

We pressed on, more hands from the Guardsmen coming to help pull away the rubble. Eventually, I heard a weak cough.

"What was that?" Shae gasped.

We dug harder, pulling off the last stones to reveal Sanus's face, bloody and covered with dust.

"Sanus!" Shae sobbed.

He coughed hard, wincing as his chest rose and fell. "Shae."

"Let's get him out of there," Pix said, shoving her sword under a large chunk of stone covering Sanus's torso. As she lifted it, Sanus cried out it pain, prompting Pix to drop the stone back down.

"Stop, stop. Pix, don't," he grimaced. "Shae, listen to me."

Shae covered her face with her hands, shaking her head violently.

"Shae please, I need you to listen," Sanus pleaded.

She drew a deep breath and wiped her face, nodding. "Anything for you."

"My dear, we both know I won't be coming out of this," he started, Shae biting her lip, trying to push back the tears. "Please, don't cry. Shae, you need to be strong."

She wiped her face again, shutting her eyes tightly.

"Nisa, you need to be there for her. You know she can't do this alone. Promise me you'll protect her," Sanus said, awaiting my answer.

"Of course," I agreed, brushing a tear off my cheek. "You know I will. I promise."

"Good. Thank you. Now, Pix," he said, turning to Pix who was crouched down beside him, her face soaked. "I need you to do me a favor. Do you think you can handle it?"

She nodded.

"I need you to take over the Guardsmen for me."

Pix dropped her sword, her eyes wide as it clanged against the stones. "Sir, I could never. I'm not even part of the guard."

"Pix, there is no one more qualified to lead them than you are," he croaked. "You're more powerful than you give yourself credit. Don't ever forget that."

Pix pursed her lips and shut her eyes. "I can't just take your position. It's yours."

"Pix," Sanus said gently. "The role falls to you know. There's no one I'd rather have take over for me when I'm gone."

"You won't be gone! We're going to get you home!" Shae wept.

"Shae, please don't cry. I know you understand that I won't be coming back to Tomaleya," Sanus coughed, blood spluttering over his lips.

I wrapped my arm around Shae's shoulders, pulling her close as her body shivered with pent up sobs.

"You can't leave me like this," she whimpered.

"I would never by choice. But Audral has other plans for us right now. And I can't ignore her call."

I squeezed Shae's shoulders as she sobbed into my chest.

"Nisa, I have one last request," Sanus mumbled.

"What do you need?" I asked, my voice quiet. If I spoke any louder, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep my emotions in check.

"Come closer," he urged.

I passed Shae over to Pix, crouching closer to Sanus's crushed body. I nodded for him to continue. He coughed violently, blood spraying onto the debris in front of him, his eyelids fluttering.

"Sanus, hey. Stay with me," I said, raising my voice.

His head bobbed, but eventually his consciousness solidified.

"What do you need?" I repeated.

He paused, gathering his thoughts. "Ah, yes I need a rather large favor."

"I know," I said, trying not to get frustrated. "What can I do?"

"I need you to kill me," he said.

I stood up quickly, shaking my head. "No, I can't. I won't."

"Nisa, please. You need to end it, right here. Do you want me to slowly bleed out under a mound of debris? Please, I need you to help me," Sanus pleaded.

"I can't," I replied, my voice breaking. "Sanus, I can't kill you."

"You must!" He persisted.

"I can't!" I cried, tears streaming down my face. "I can't let someone else die because of my actions!" I covered my face with my hands, my body shaking, holding back the anger, the sorrow, the hatred of myself.

"Nisa," his voice was barely a whisper. "It's not your fault. It never was and it never will be. What I'm asking you to do is what needs to be done, and will never be your is out of mercy, not defense. My death won't be held against you ever. The Guardsmen understand. Would you rather I suffer, slowly fading away under all this rubble?"

I shook my head. "I'll never be able to live with myself."

"You will, Nisa. I know you will. It's what all great leaders must face during their lives, and I have no doubt in my mind that you won't rise above it," he reassured.

"I'm no leader," I said, shaking my head.

"You will be someday,"he insisted. "And you're going to lead the people of Ekota out of the dark and into a new world without fear. Promise me this."

I hesitated, tears rolling off my face and dropping onto the ruins below me, staining the rocks with dark spots. "I promise."

Sanus sighed deeply, full of content.

"How do you need me to do this?" I asked, my voice wobbling.

"We'll do it fast, a quick slash to my throat. Can you handle that?" Sanus inquired.

"I hope so," I replied. I picked up my dagger, catching a quick glimpse of my reflection, my eyes puffy, cheeks damp. Dry blood stained my fingertips, my hand shaking, barely able to keep a grip on my knife. Shae came next to me, putting her hands on mine to steady the shaking. I stared at her, her dark eyes so full of pain, but she nodded reassuringly.

I placed the blade of my dagger against his throat. He took a deep breath.

Shae kissed her palm and cupped her hand on his cheek. "May you pass in glory, never to be forgotten. May you wake in Audral's arms, safe and welcomed. And may you watch over us as we keep your memory alive."

"I love you," he said, gently kissing her hand and closing his eyes.

"I love you too," she whispered back.

"Sanus," I started. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Of course," he replied.

"When you see my parents, can you ask if they're proud of me?"

He looked up at me and smiled. "I think you already know the answer."

In one swift motion, I dragged my blade across his throat, and the general of the Winoan Guardsmen was no more.