The Girl, The Eunuch, and The Lady

Jeon Song Ji

Song Ji's first instinct was to believe it was a joke, so she laughed a very forced laugh. Anyone with ears can hear the raising trepidation crawling up her throat.

She even deepened her voice and slouched her figure like any other ordinary man. How in the world did this insane woman know her true identity when Byhung-ho and Pang couldn't see a thing? Pushing back the mounting panic in her voice, Song Ji calmly replied, "You are mistaken my lady. I am a man... without his manhood, but still a man."

Lady Yin Jidam gave her a sly grin and returned to her reflection in the pond. She graced her fingers across the still water, creating tiny ripples as the group of Kio dispersed.

"How can I not recognized another woman, when I am one myself?" She questioned.

"But-

The lady held her fingers up to her lips, "We must not speak of this in public. Your life is at risk."

How had she known? Was Song Ji really that obvious? No matter the reasons, Lady Yin Jidam had figured it out, which meant Song Ji was faced with another obstacle in her unforgiving path. What will this woman do now? She was unpredictable.

"So, I'm right," She beamed, "You wouldn't have kept quiet if you were actually a man because if you were, you could've proven it, but... you're not."

Her eyes sparkled as if she found a new toy to play with. Lady Yin Jidam turned her head back to the pond, "Don't worry, I'll keep your secret."

"Really?" She burst out the question in complete surprise. Song Ji hadn't expected a maiden like Yin Jidam to care about anything that wasn't herself. Yet, in the back of her head, she knew there was always a price to pay for one's mercy.

"But..." Yin Jidam purred.

And here it comes.

"You have to do me a little favor."

Song Ji nodded and held her breath, wishing she had blackout like before from this conversation.

Yin Jidam continued, her eyes glancing over Song Ji's body like a hungry wolf, "You have to go to the Autumn Ball as my replacement."

---

Going to a royal festival was little of a price to pay for her secrecy, or so Song Ji thought. She'd never expected the severe pain and disciplinary rules of the upperclassmen as Lady Yin Jidam marched across her bedroom quarters, like a general reciting tactic for war.

"This is the utmost important role that you'll ever receive in your tedious, impoverish life. And if you were to make any slip whatsoever, it would be my reputation on the line. You mustn't take off your mask, speak a word, or do any other actions that will discredit my appearance."

Irritated with her demands, Song Ji blurted, "Then why won't you go to the Ball, my lady?"

Lady Yin Jidam froze, and noticing her displeased expression, Song Ji quickly added, "You would the most b-beautiful lady at the ball!"

"Of course, I would," She crossed her arms, satisfied with Song Ji's appraisal, "But you see, I am forced to stay here because of my father. If it was up to me, I would've packed my belongings and left that conceited, arrogant prince in someone else's greedy hands," She scoffed.

"I can't bear another second with him, let alone a dance."

Sitting there, Song Ji was quietly amazed at how Yin Jidam hadn't given a second thought about the crown. Unlike the other fine ladies, who wouldn't say a word if they had the opportunity for the title of queen. Even though she was disgustingly rich and self-absorbed, Yin Jidam at least tried to take control of a life that was already prepared for her.

"Shall we get started?"

The young lady beamed, taking Song Ji's silence as a yes.

In a matter of hours, Song Ji was stripped of her own blemished skin, and her dignity as Lady Yin Jidam's handmaiden scrubbed her body until she was pink and soft. They then made her a scolding hot bath that felt like fire on her freshly scoured skin. This was not how she imagined the feeling of luxury.

One of the maidens brought out a glass of clear, red gel and begun pouring it into the tub.

"What is it?" Song Ji instinctively asked.

"Rose perfume, my lady," The maiden answered.

She had to beg the servant to not call her that, but then she remembered she was supposed to be Yin Jidam's quest.

The aroma of roses permeated throughout the air, and in minutes the bath, along with Jeon Song Ji, smelled like a garden.

"Thank you," She whispered.

One of the servants who was combing her hair froze. Song Ji quickly realized a typical, refined lady wouldn't even consider talking to their servants, let alone thank them.

Song Ji cleared her throat, "The fragrance is too strong. I don't like it."

"My apologies, my lady."

She knew she had said the right thing when the maidens continued with their work, pouring more water into the tub. It was better not to say a word, so Song Ji sat there quietly as her skin turned to prunes. She almost dozed off to sleep until the servants brought her a towel and helped her changed into the dress for tonight.

The hanbok itself was the most beautiful thing Song Ji had ever seen, and the fabric felt like clouds against her skin. The skirt was fluffy as a pastry in the color of peach cream with an intricate design of flowers and pearls. The top was sheer white with a red silk sash wrapped around her small waist. The servants woven pearls and baby roses into her shiny hair, and at the end of it all, she looked like the goddess of Spring's flowers.

"A breath of summer's air you are!" Yin Jidam gasped as their eyes met in the mirror, "But you can't go to a masked ball without a mask now, can you?"

She pulled out a beautifully decorated mask from behind her back that would cover Song Ji's face, including her mouth. It was white with drawings of pink butterflies and bedazzled with pearls and rubies.

"Pearls and rubies are my family's jewel, every lady will have a different one."

Song Ji nodded and pulled the mask on.

A naive girl.

A clueless eunuch.

A refine lady going to a royal ball.

How many more lives can Jeon Song Ji live before one of them was discovered?