It All Began with the Books

Early 18th-century

Joseon Dynasty

Kaesong, Korea

Song Ji

Song Ji had never considered herself a true romantic. For instance, when she's finished another romance novel from her mother's immense collection, she couldn't comprehend the idea of happily ever after. Or when Song Ji sat in on one of the plays at the village's square and watch as the actor confesses his dying passion to his lover in a poetic soliloquy, she would look around and wonder how people could stomach this nonsense?

She knew the most important thing for a girl her age was finding a man and being wedded for the rest of her life, taking care of him, the house, and their babies. It was as simple as that, her mother said.

Now, Song Ji sat in front of their abandoned book shop, flipping over pages of fruitless text. It was the perfect spot, isolated from the city noise and shielded by cherry blossom tree loomings over her head.

The Ultimate Guide to Successfully Finding a Husband.

Hmm.

The book was obviously written by a man, painting women as mindless ornaments. How could her mother expect her to read such garbage, let alone follow these ridiculous rules? If so, Song Ji will be single for the rest of her life. Frustrated, she slammed the book shut against the table, not at all ladylike.

"Excuse me?"

Out of annoyance, the girl whirled around and spat, "What?"

At that moment, time froze.

The velvety blossom petals suspended in mid-air and tranquil burbles of the river silenced as Song Ji gaped at the man standing before her. It was as if the world around her was fixed in a beautiful painting, where the focal point of the artist's creation was this man. He wore a baby blue hanbok and a black gat raining down with stoned sea beads caressing his jet-black hair and olive-colored skin. At first sight, Song Ji thought he was a prince in disguise from one of her mother's books, dressed as a nobleman only to pursue her.

Love at first sight, perhaps it was real after all... and maybe, Song Ji was wrong about herself.

"My apologies, sir." The ignorant girl squeaked as she abruptly stood up, bowing.

"No worries, "The man smiled.

He looked down at her book, and blood crept up Song Ji's cheeks as he quickly read the embarrassing title before she had the chance to cover it up. Politely ignoring her crimson blush, the tall man asked, "Is this the foreign book shop I've been hearing about?"

His heart-melting smile sent fiery chills down her spine as he looked past Song Ji towards her mother's shops with curiosity. Her mother had indeed received several collections of western novels translated to Hangul. Her brother, Song Ji's uncle, was a widely traveled merchant, seeking hidden treasures every continent he had undergone. After a recent visit, her uncle had left the tiny spines of pages as a gift from one of his adventurous escapades. They were truly rare jewels, a priceless piece of world literature that Song Ji's mother wouldn't even allow her to touch.

Song Ji hesitated then answered, "Yes, but my mother hardly ever allows any customer the sight of them. It's no longer a shop, really."

"I'm sorry to hear that," He shrugged, turning away from Song Ji.

No, she didn't want him to go. They had only just met.

"Wait!" She squeaked.

And with that one word, the story continues.