Bad and Worse

Song Ji

Would today be their third date? Song Ji thought as she wandered through the morning market. Kwang So had gotten her a flower last time, so she could at least give him something back in return.

But what exactly?

She was still wondering why he'd looked so discouraged yesterday. Obviously, Song Ji couldn't say anything about it, so she considered it a good idea to buy him a present.

All around her, adults and children roamed the narrow pathway, looking for sales and goodies. Song Ji's lungs filled with the coaxing aroma of roasted chicken and buttery pastries. At the same time, her ears are bombarded by empty compliments from merchants from vendors placed at every corner.

"A pretty lady deserves a pretty necklace!"

"Half price off just for you, darling!"

"This cream will make you more beautiful than you already are!"

She strolled past bottled molasses, freshly made cookies, and fascinating knit-knacks. Still, unfortunately, none of them was suitable for Kwang So. Slowly, her eyes wandered to a cart haphazardly stacked with random items. She walked towards it, attracted by the beautiful chaos.

"What would you like, dear? Anything for a lady as lovely as you," An old woman said, her voice unsteady and her hair chalk-white.

Song Ji's eyes travel across an assortment of hairpins, earrings, and necklaces, all beautifully assembled by hand, she could tell. Her fingertips hovered over the stray items and finally landed on a pair of bracelets. It was threaded with creamy, pastel-colored beads that ran smoothly through her fingers. A bronze key as small as her fingernails were threaded through one and a locket on the other.

"What's this?" She asked, holding up the bracelets.

"Ah, that," The old woman smirked, "Is a bracelet."

Song Ji chuckled, shaking her head, "No. I meant, what does it mean?"

"Oh, yes. You have a great taste, my darling. It's the classic symbol of love and purpose. You see, the key," She said, pointing to one of the bracelets, "Has no purpose without a lock, nor does a lock will ever open without its key. One has no purpose or should exist without the other."

Song Ji grinned, "Really? I thought it was some foolish phrase about giving a person a key to your heart."

"It can mean whatever you want it to mean, darling, as long as you buy it!"The old lady eagerly nodded her head.

She laughed, "I'll take it."

Suddenly, Song Ji was interrupted by hurried footsteps as people were pushed to the side of the street. She turned towards the commotion and saw a long parade of horses and impeccable carriages strut through the market. Song Ji's eyes were caught on an expensive carriage the color of burgundy, bejeweled with golden stones, and accompanied with men on all sides. Situated at the center was a stunning young maiden with pale skin and pink lips the color of rose petals. Sadly for her, the disgusted frown she wore as she looked upon the villagers had completely obliterated her beauty.

"What's going on?" Song Ji whispered to herself.

The old lady answered, "I heard the palace was welcoming as many available fine maidens in Kaesong to rival for the hands of the Crowned Prince," She said dramatically while handing her the bracelets, "If I was the lad, I would be sprinting across the country before that she-devil passes the gate!"

Song Ji said her thanks and left the old woman haggling at her own joke.

She couldn't care less about the Crowned Prince of Korea. She already had her own prince in her head.