Envy

Chang Min

"Pardon me, your highness, but wouldn't it be more... pleasurable to continue our wonderful stroll... perhaps in the gardens?" One of his mother's Top Picks suggested.

Although he didn't want to admit it, Chang Min had forgotten the girl's name. He hoped she was too self-absorb to notice. Apparently, his wish came true since she'd never tried to hint her name towards him, and even if she had, Chang Min was likely to forget it again.

"Prince Chang Min?" She quipped.

The young prince stopped walking and for once looked at the girl's face. She was positively stunning, with flawless pale skin the color of lilies and big brown eyes. Mother must have chosen her because, and he quotes, "She would make beautiful babies".

Without waiting for a reply, the girl inquired another question, those big brown eyes filled with disgust, "Isn't this the... workers' area?"

Begrudgingly, Chang Min answered her, "Yes, and if you were to prefer the gardens..."

"Oh yes, your highness. I would love--

His highness abruptly came to a stop, causing his flirtatious companion to silence her words. He turned to the girl, looking down into her doll-like eyes.

"Alone," He breathed, "You may go to the gardens alone, Miss..."

"Yin Jidam," The girl hissed her name, and with a whip of her flowery dress, Miss Yin Jidam charged back into the palace. Her sudden bitterness towards him was unsurprising, more a relief rather than a loss.

With a great exhale, Kim Chang Min continued his walk. Unlike Miss Yin Jidam, he preferred the loud and oddly comforting chaos of the working class. The prince liked their shouting, quarrel, and their lack of knowledge of court etiquette. Yet the prince, even from his high placement, had never thought of them as lesser than himself. In fact, they were richer in many other ways he wasn't. They were birds while he was wingless, suffocating in this green snake that works as his cage. They had a whole life filled with decisions and crossroads no amount of wons can buy.

Suddenly the sound of moaning, old wood against the rocky pavement made him turn his head. His eyes were caught on a cart of servants being transferred into the palace's quarters. One of them, a small man with large, drooping eyes, gazed up at him, and the prince looked back until the man and the cart had disappeared behind another set of gates. He released a sigh and began walking back to the palace.

He guessed some people's lives weren't filled with decisions, and a few wons wouldn't hurt either.