chapter 30 | out in the open sea

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry. I know it seems like I'm being prissy. It's just that I love this, I love what you're doing . . . but I'm scared as hell." I can't look up at him.

"Of what?"

"I don't know. Of messing up. Of saying the wrong thing. Or doing something stupid. Phoenix, I feel like I have no control over myself and it's freaking me out. I've never, ever felt like this before. This is different. What if this doesn't work out? What if I opened up too soon? What if —"

"What if tonight turned out to be perfect?" He takes my hand and lifts it up over my head as he nods his head to the music.

"Huh?" I'm completely confused.

What is he doing?

He twirls me around like we're on the dance floor. "What if everything turns out to be amazing?" His eyes light up. "Give it a chance, Ari. Give us a chance." He leans against a post on the pier and pulls me into him. Our legs are intertwined, thigh to thigh. Still in dance mode, his left hand warms the center of my back while his right hand holds mine. "Here you are, all fine and sexy and you're ready to go home already? Nope. Not happening. You made me get this expensive Dior dress, which is stunning on you, by the way, only to get scared that we might not make it? Uh-uh. I've got skin in the game, too. You can't flake out on me."

The pressure and resistance I felt just moments before evaporates. I give in to him, allowing him to lead me out of my own fog. I rest my chin on his shoulder as we sway back and forth to the music. My ear brushes ever so slightly against his face and I relinquish my will. I'm driven to be near him. He feels irresistibly warm and welcoming.

I get even closer, whispering, "You're right. Neither one of us can tell the future. Who knows how it will turn out. I'm not the only one taking a chance here, we both are." I exhale as his hand travels down my back. "I can do one step at a time. Let's start with tonight. Let's make tonight . . . magical."

"That's my girl." He stands up, then lifts my hand over my head and twirls me once more.

This time, I go with the flow and allow him to twirl me around, causing my dress to flow in the air as I turn.

He stops me, and we face each other. "You good now?"

Slightly dizzy, I nod, letting him know I'm all in.

"Good! Ready to have some fun?"

"Yes!"

"Well, the party awaits. After you, Ms. Davenport." He shows the way, presenting the yacht and waits for me to step forward.

I take his hand, "Mr. Prescott." The wind blows, revealing the thigh-high slits in my sheer dress. This is one bad dress.

We board the yacht and the atmosphere is insane. It's like we're in a music video. I grab two glasses of champagne from a waiter's tray and pass one to Phoenix. I look around for Mia and Penelope. They're nowhere in sight. We wade through the crowd and wander to the top level.

"You want something else?" Phoenix asks after noticing I hadn't touched my drink.

"I think so. This is too sweet. Can we do a vodka tonic with lime?" I yell over the music.

"I'll be right back." Phoenix walks off to find a bar.

I become a fly on the wall, watching everyone. The two girls sitting in the corner, kissing each other, with champagne flutes in their hands. The guys standing nearby watching, egging them on. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a dare or a bet. In the center of the deck, is a hot tub filled with hot, frothy water, surrounded by several scantily clad people. A guy sits at one end of the hot tub with his arms hanging over the edge. Three girls in white bikinis make quite a splash as they join him. A waiter serves them drinks with tiny umbrellas and fruit kabobs.