Chapter Twenty

"You what?" Giovanni growled.

"I'm — I'm sorry sir, but he beat us. We had her, but then he saved her before we could get back to the helicopter." Archer muttered, frightened of his boss's rage.

"And you four? What's your excuses? You know his team! You've fought him multiple times!" Lysander yelled at his scientists.

"Lysander, Ash is better than us. That's all we have to say." Bryony said, her voice trembling slightly.

"You're all dismissed." Giovanni snapped. Lysander nodded in agreement, and the scientists left. Giovanni stood up and started pacing, Persian watching him from its place in the corner.

"We need a new plan if we're going to get that trainer on our side." Lysander muttered.

"We need to get out of here so we can lead from the outside instead of being forced to lead from in here." Giovanni replied.

"How do you suggest we get out? If you haven't noticed, our Pokemon's moves can't break the bars, even if they weren't being suppressed by Hanapa root." Lysander growled.

"I'll figure something out." Giovanni muttered angrily. Persian yowled in agreement.

~~~

"What's going on today?" Clemont asked at breakfast the next morning.

"I gotta battle the gym leader!" Bonnie exclaimed happily. "We've been training really hard."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go see Ramos." Ash said. He seemed to have calmed down more from the last couple days, which was good. Bonnie cheered and the gang quickly finished their breakfast.

"Ash, can I talk to you?" Gary asked. "You know, now that you're not planning any deaths." He smirked. Ash rolled his eyes but nodded and followed Gary outside.

"What's up?"

"What the hell are you doing?" Gary asked suddenly, after a few seconds of silence. Ash stepped back in surprise.

"What?" Ash blinked.

"Dawn came to me yesterday because she and Serena got into a fight."

"A fight about what?"

"You, dumbass." Gary snapped. "Dawn said that Serena mentioned something about Dawn not knowing who you are, and it's driving her insane."

"What do you want me to do about it Gary? I'm not exactly focused on my fucked up relationships right now, I'm more focused on trying to figure out why the hell Team Rocket and Team Flare are working together, and why the fuck I'm a part of it! The fact that the two biggest crime organizations in the world are working together can't really bode well for the world's future."

"I want you to stop playing your little game with those girls Ash!" Gary shouted.

"What are you implying Gary? And be very careful where you tread from now on." Ash growled.

"You have this fucked up need to screw with people, because you got screwed with your whole life. Just because you don't know who your father is, or why your mother is terrified to speak of him, or even why Team Rocket has been after you since you left Pallet Town doesn't give you the right to fuck with everyone else and screw them up as badly as you've been!" Ash lunged towards Gary, anger twisting up his features as he grabbed Gary's collar and pulled him close.

"Don't you ever fucking mention my mother or father like that again. And don't you fucking presume to know anything about me." Ash growled dangerously.