Chapter Seventeen

"We're finally in Coumarine!" Bonnie exclaimed, laughing as she spread her hands out. Pikachu squealed from Bonnie's shoulder, he had taken to riding with the young trainer because of Ash. Whenever they stopped though, Pikachu was right next to Ash cuddling his chest and trying to make him feel better.

"Hey guys!" Dawn exclaimed, waving happily as she saw their friends. Gary grinned from behind her, happy to see his friends but also irritated, because that meant his little retreat with Dawn was over.

"Hey baby." Ash said, smiling. Dawn didn't fail to notice the somewhat flatter tone and familiar dead look in Ash's eyes, but she ignored it. Dawn pecked Ash and smiled.

"Wanna get outta here?" Ash asked Dawn, wanting to get away from Serena. He couldn't look at her right now without feeling depressed. He loved her, and she left him. He made the wrong choice when it came to her, and now he was paying the price. He should've just ended things with Dawn as soon as he saw her gorgeous blue eyes again, but he was stupid. So he lost her.

"Uh, sure, okay." Dawn called for Pikachu, who jumped on Ash's lap and nuzzled him while Dawn wheeled them towards the square.

"I missed you." Dawn muttered, smiling. She felt extremely guilty about what she did with Gary, but she couldn't bring herself to lose Ash, so she said nothing.

"I missed you too." Ash murmured, stroking Pikachu. "Should we get lunch?"

"Okay." Dawn agreed, wheeling Ash into a cute little cafe she had found the other day. "This place is really good."

"Let's do it." Ash grinned, trying to ignore his twisted feelings about Serena and just be here with Dawn. What he didn't understand about Serena was that he offered to break up with Dawn for her, but then she got angry and broke up with him after they fought. He knew that he had been hurting her since he came back, but he had offered to make it right.

"Ash?" Dawn asked.

"Hmm? Sorry Dawn I was somewhere else." Ash murmured. "What did you say?"

"I asked if Bonnie battled the Shalour gym."

"No, she said she isn't strong enough yet."

"I bet she is." Dawn smiled kindly. Ash returned the smile and nodded. Bonnie was definitely strong enough, but he respected her decision. "Is she gonna battle the gym here?"

"Probably. It's Ramos. He's a great gym leader, Bonnie will have a lot of fun."

"Hello, I'm Darren, may I take your order?" A young man asked. He looked up from his notepad and his black eyes widened.

"You're Ash Ketchum!" He exclaimed.

"Yes I know." Ash chuckled. "Please keep it down though, no one has really noticed me yet. It's the chair. I just want to enjoy a quiet lunch with my girlfriend."

"Yes sir! You're amazing, I'm a huge fan." Ash smiled at the man. "Can I take your order?"

"Dawn?" Ash asked. Dawn looked down at her menu.

"Uh, can I have the Margarita Pizza please? A small." The boy nodded and wrote it down, turning to Ash.

"I'll have the same. And can I get a lemonade please?"

"You got it." The boy turned back to Dawn. "Any drinks for you?"

"Uh just water please. Thank you." The boy nodded and turned to bring the order to the back.

"Do you really think people haven't noticed you as much because you're in a wheelchair?" Dawn asked.

"I think so. Most people are looking for the confident dude in that picture that's everywhere. Not a beaten down trainer in a wheelchair."