Chapter Twelve

Ash was awoken by the sun streaming in from the window, blinding him. Serena was still curled up next to him, sleeping peacefully. He smiled down at her, reveling in the way her soft blonde hair spilled over the side of the hospital bed like a golden waterfall and how her eyelashes kissed her cheeks. She was gorgeous, a stupid scar would do nothing to detract from that.

"Serena," Ash murmured. She groaned and shifted, burying her face deeper into his chest. Ash chuckled as he brought his free arm up to gently shake her. "Serena, wake up. Breakfast will be soon, then the nurses will be coming in. You don't want to get in trouble do you?" There was a huge sigh, and Serena opened her big sapphire eyes.

"Fine I'll go back to my bed. But don't expect me to help you get around on that busted ankle of yours once we get out of here." Ash chuckled.

"Okay Serena." Ash muttered, grinning. Serena rolled her eyes, but smiled back at him.

"Iron tail Pikachu." She murmured.

"Iron tail." Serena climbed under her hospital covers, leaning back on the pillows. Ash was stroking Pikachu when she glanced over at him a few minutes later, and Serena decided to let Sylveon out. The fairy type appeared from her pokeball and gave a sad call, worried for her trainer.

"I'm okay Sylveon." Serena muttered, smiling at the fox-like Pokémon. Sylveon jumped up onto the hospital bed gently, wrapping a feeler around Serena's hurt arm. The other feeler extended across the room and crept around Ash'a arm, who looked up and chuckled. Pikachu crawled across Ash's lap and jumped onto Serena's bed to say hi to Sylveon, sniffing her. Sylveon licked Pikachu's cheek, and Pikachu's face turned red, and he jumped back across, stunned. Ash laughed and pet Pikachu on his tail, causing Pikachu to squeal with delight.

Gary woke up a few minutes later, right as the nurse was bringing breakfast in. "Uh, before I eat, I have to use the bathroom." Ash muttered, turning a light red color. "And I can't walk on my own." The nurse smiled at him kindly and put his food down on the nightstand, holding her arm out for Ash to grab. Ash took hold of it and pulled himself up painfully. His lower leg was in a cast, all the way up to his knee. The painkillers he was given last night where wearing off, and his leg was just starting to throb painfully. Gritting his teeth he took tentative steps to the bathroom, leaning on the nurse for support.

~

After they ate, their friends started trickling back in, and soon the hospital room was full like yesterday. Clemont was helping Ash get changed, he was getting discharged today, Serena and Gary too. The medics brought Ash a wheelchair, and they were set.

"How's your leg? And your nose and ribs?" Dawn asked, touching his shoulder gently. Ash looked up her from his position on the wheelchair and gave her a tight smile.

"They hurt a bit, but I'll be fine soon." Dawn sighed, relieved, and pecked him on the cheek.

"Why is it every time I leave you, you end up getting injured?" Dawn asked jokingly. Ash chuckled and shrugged.

"Not sure Dawn. Not sure." He grinned at her, flashing his straight white teeth. He looked pretty beat up, with that bandage across his nose and his leg in a huge cast. Another thing she noticed was that he said Dawn, when he usually calls her babe. That hurt her a little bit, but she tried not to think about it.

She wheeled him out of the hospital, the rest of their friends following after. "How are we going to travel?" Dawn asked no one in particular.