Fire

Today was an ordinary day for Dallon and I. We were enjoying our free period when I saw Ryan from across the room. I was staring at him suspiciously, I usually didn't see him while I was with Dallon.

"What are you staring at?" Dallon asked curiously.

"Ryan," I whispered. "He's almost never here when I'm with you."

Dallon grabbed my hand and whispered, "He might go away if you ignore him, he's not real, remember?"

We continued playing Uno, which Dallon was starting to get better at, he actually beat me a couple times. After I few minutes, I looked up to where Ryan was standing, he was still there. He beckoned me with his finger and I immediately stood up.

"Brendon, what are you doing?" Dallon asked worriedly.

"Ryan's still there, I need to talk to him," I replied.

Dallon grabbed my arm. "Brendon, please, don't talk to him, stay here with me, please," he pleaded.

"Dallon, I need to talk to him, I'll be right back, it will be okay," I said.

Dallon reluctantly let go of my arm and I began to walk away. I remembered I forgot to Dallon something and quickly turned back.

I leaned down to his ear and whispered, "If you look at my cards I will not talk to you for the rest of the week."

Dallon let out a giggle and I walked over to Ryan. Ryan gave me sad smile when I had finally reached him.

"What is it, Ry," I asked.

"It's time," he said.

"What do you mean," I questioned.

"It's time for me to go," he answered, his voice cracking.

"No, please stay, I need you," I whimpered.

"But you don't, you have Dallon, you'll be okay," he cried.

"Why can't you just stay? Stay with me, please," I said, tears flowing rapidly down my face, making it hard to see.

"Bren, we haven't even spent much time with each other since you've been here," he said.

"That doesn't mean I don't love you any less," I exclaimed.

"I don't doubt that, but I'm not real, I'm dead! Remember?" He asked.

I suddenly remembered the night I lost Ryan...

. . .

*flashback to the fire*

I suddenly woke up to my lungs being filled with smoke. I looked beside me on the bed, Ryan wasn't there.

"Ryan? RYAN! WHERE ARE YOU?!" I panicked.

I didn't hear him respond so I ran out of the room. 

The hallway was completely filled  with smoke, I couldn't see an inch in front of my face. I started coughing as I started to breath it in.

"Ryan!" I gasped. "Where are you!"

I began to search the house, not getting very far as I collapsed on the floor in a coughing fit. I was seconds from passing out when I saw someone run up to me and picked me up.

"Ryan..." I croaked before passing out.

. . .

I woke up in a hospital bed the next morning. A bunch of wires and tubes connecting me to a bunch of random machines. There was a doctor in the room, his name tag read Dr. Smith.