39~Love requires sacrifice.

Marie-Anne's POV

"Dylan, I hate Argents and you are one of them," I tell him. His brown eyes lock into mine out of shock. He passes his hands through his messy dark brown hair for what seems like the hundredth time. I know I shouldn't have said that, but I just want to be honest with him.

"Hate is a strong word, Marie-Anne," he finally says. I open my mouth to say something, but can't come up with anything. He's right, hate is a strong word maybe I just don't like them. "I guess, I can't tell you how to feel about my family, but you can't be judging me and putting me in the same category as my family Marie-Anne."

"You know I am nothing like them," he adds, but I still don't say anything. "Marie-Anne, please say something."

"Dylan, do you love me?" I ask him. He sighs and rubs his eyes. He put his hands back in his jacket's pocket and stare into my eyes still not answering my question.

"Yes I do, what do I have to do to prove that to you?" He asks.

"Let me go," I tell him and he closes his eyes. I look up to him to see his facial expression, but he has an unreadable expression on his face.

"Marie-Anne, I-I," his phone starts ringing and he takes it out of his pocket. When he sees the caller ID he moves further away from me to answer.

Dylan's POV

"What is it?" I ask answering the phone.

"Oh, you didn't hear yet? You know Dylan I thought you were just joking," My older brother, Adam, says on the phone.

"Heard what?" I ask not knowing what he is talking about. There is always something when he calls you, I wish one day he would just call to see how I was doing.

"Mother, she just got arrested. Dylan, please just tell me that you had nothing to do with it, she's our mother for god's sake." He says. I look at Marie-Anne who was just standing waiting for me. Let her go, let her go, I can't do that. I love her too much to do that, I can't live without hearing her crazy laugh, hearing her dumb jokes, or even dealing with her stubbornness. "Dylan, Dylan," my brother says over the phone.

"Adam, as far as I'm concerned she's just a lady who carried me for nine months. I can't believe you are taking her side, that same mother you cherish so much tried to kill someone," I tell him getting angry. "And I already told her that I am not done with her until she is rotting in a cell somewhere."

"Do you even hear yourself? That lady took care of you, changed your diapers, stayed up late when you couldn't sleep-"

"Adam, Adam, we had a nanny when we were kids," I tell him and he curses under his tongue.

"Why do you hate her?" He asks.

"Hate is a strong word, Adam," I say for the second time today, "I just want her to pay, I want her to suffer, I want her to change, I just wanted her to be a mother to me and she couldn't do that. All she ever cared about is herself and money, she never cared about us, she didn't even want kids," I tell him tears threating to fall.

"Dylan, you are so naïve. There are certain things you don't understand yet, she wasn't perfect, but she was still our mother. You just don't understand how hard it is to be a parent, she tried Dylan, she tried."

"And what do you know about being a parent?" I ask him over the phone. Marie-Anne starts pacing around impatiently.

"Well, if you were really my brother and you cared about us you would know that Stacey is pregnant," he says referring to his fiancée. "And Dylan, that baby isn't even born yet and all I want to do is protect it. To be honest, I would do worst than what mother did if I thought it would protect my child. I would have killed that girl myself," he says.

"But, she wasn't protecting me," I tell him. "And congrats on bringing a baby into this cruel world, maybe you'll be better than mother."

"That's not how she sees it, trust me, Dylan, she wants you to be happy, she wants to protect you, she just has a weird way of showing it," he says. "Just please try to talk to her and forgive her, that's all I'm asking. And tell Marie-Anne that I am sorry for all the pain that my family has caused her." He says. He hangs up the phone before I have a chance to answer him.

I go back to Marie-Anne and she stops pacing around. "Marie-Anne, do you love me?" I ask her using her own words against her.

"I do, you know that Dylan."

"Why would you want me to let you go then?" I ask, I never did understand that saying, if you love someone enough you'll let them go, I think if you love someone enough you will fight for them, hold them close and never let them go.

"Because love requires sacrifice," she says a tear running down her cheek. I take my hands out of my jacket and wipe away the tear with my thumb. She forces a smile and mouths a thank you. We stare at each other and don't say a word.

She was right love does require sacrifice and I have to let her live how she wants, "Marie-Anne, would it make you happy?" I ask her. All I want is for her to be happy and if leaving would make her happy then let it be.

"I don't know," she says honestly. I look around and see that the sun is setting and it is starting to be dark. I put my hoodie over my head and don't say anything.

"Okay," I tell her.

"Okay?" She asks.

"Okay, if that's what you really want to do Marie-Anne then do it. I can't force you to stay here, I just want you to know that I'll be right here if you change your mind." I tell her.

She pulls me into a hug, when she lets go she rubs her thumbs on my cold cheeks. She gives me a peck on my lips, "goodbye Dylan," she says leaving.

I stand there watching her leave, watching her walk further away from me, all I want to do is call her and tell her that I am not okay with her leaving. I guess the saying is right, after all, you got to love enough to let go, my heart is breaking, but you got to let go. "Bye Marie-Anne," I say to myself.

AN

I want to cry, Marie-Anne left and Dylan let her go.

Thanks for reading everyone. Now please vote and comment so you guys can tell me what you think of the story so far. Do you think Marie-Anne and Dylan are going to end up together?

Au Revoir...