20~What's life without you?

Marie-Anne's POV

"So, how's school honey? Are you keeping up with all your work?" My mom ask over the phone.

"Yes mama, I am," I reply as I lower the TV's volume in order to hear her clearer.

"How's E?"

"She is fine, ma. She is sitting next to me right now trying to eavesdrop on our private conversation," I say emphasizing on the word private.

"Tell her I say hello," my mom say after laughing at my sentence.

"E, ma says hi,"

"Hi mommy," Esther yells grabbing the phone from my hand. I think I have to share my own mom. At least my mom is not one of those mothers who hates their kids best friends. My mom treats Esther like she is her own and Esther couldn't be much happier.

I get up about to grab the phone from Esther's hands, but a knock on the door causes me to stop.

I walk up and open the door and Dylan stands there with his hands inside his jeans pocket.

"Hey Dylan, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"Oh, I can't come to your house now?" He ask sarcastically walking inside without being invited in.

"I didn't say that, I just asked why you're here nothing else."

"Do I need a reason to be here?" He ask walking towards the living room.

He takes a seat by Esther and changes the channel like it is his own home, "I love that show," Esther says when he sees the show that Dylan is watching. She then continues to talk to my mother.

"Well, you wouldn't be here if you didn't have a reason," I say remembering what Dylan and I were talking about.

"Can't I just be here because I want to see my girlfriend?" he ask.

"Yes, but that is a reason,"

"Okay, whatever Marie-Anne," he says rolling his eyes at me.

Esther gets up leaving the living room with my phone. I and Dylan stay in a uncomfortable silence for a while.

"So, why have you been ignoring me?" Dylan ask.

"I'm not," I say.

"So, you just been that busy that you can't reply to a text message or answer the phone when I call you? Look Marie-Anne I don't like being lied to, if you have a problem just tell me it to my face, that's all I ask, just tell me the truth," he says looking at me for an answer.

I stay silent because I don't know what to tell him, he still stares waiting for my answer. Without giving it a second thought I blurt out the first thing that comes on my mind, "I think we should break up," I say.

"Okay, why?" He ask.

"Um... I just think it is not working out no more," I lied.

"Yeah, that is what happens when there is only one person trying in a relationship, it doesn't work out," he says getting up from his seat.

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask also getting up.

"Home, I don't see any reason to stay here," he says.

"Well," he cuts me off before I could continue.

"Well, what?"

"I just, nothing never mind," I say. I wanted for us to end the relationship, but I don't think he would have taken it so well and don't even try to fight for us.

"Yeah, never mind. Marie-Anne, do you know what one think I never do?"

"What?"

"I never force people to do what they don't want to; if you don't want to be in this relationship then fine you don't have to be." He says and he walks out the door banging it very loud. I stand there trying to process what just happened. I guess his mother would be very happy, that's what she wants. But, I can't help and ask myself, what about what I want?

"What happened, why did Dylan bang the door?" Esther asks while walking into the living room and sitting on the sofa.

"I told him," I say also taking a seat.

"Oh, you told him what his bitchy mother is trying to make you do?"

"No, I broke up with him. If I tell him about his mother, it'll only get worst."

"How?"

"She'll probably find out and get my mom fired anyway. And I can't have that," I say.

"I know, but you can't lie to him and jeopardize your happiness just because his mother doesn't like you," she says, " as a matter of fact, you should call him right now and tell him the real reason you broke up with him."

"I don't think that's a good idea, E."

"Too late, I'm already dialing his number, here take the phone and tell him," she says pushing the phone towards me,

"Hello?" Dylan says over the phone.

"Hey," I say nervously.

"Marie-Anne this is really not a good time. I don't have time to hear your lies right now," he says sounding a little distracted.

"I'm not gonna lie to you anymore,"

"Oh, does that mean you've been lying to me this whole time. Oh my god," he says sarcastically, "anyways, what do you have to tell me," he ask.

"Um..." Esther nods he head yes telling me to tell him the truth, "your mother came to see me at work the other day," I say really fast.

"Really, what did she tell you? And before you answer I'm sorry, seeing my mother is never a good thing,"

"She told me that if we didn't end our relationship, she would get my mom fired from the hospital she works at," I say after much hesitation.

"What, why didn't you tell me before?"

"I was just afraid, but E says I have to tell you the truth and now I am."

"Marie-Anne, you should have told me. I cannot believe her, this bitch!" He yells over the phone. I think he hit his hand on something because I hear him groan.

"Dylan, she is still your mom, you cannot be calling her names," I say trying to sound good. To be honest, he can call her as much names as he wants, but he is still his mother.

"Yeah whatever, I'll call you later,"

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"I'm going to pay mother a visit," he says sounding really mad.

"Dylan, no you can't do that," before I could finish he hangs up the phone.

"What happened?" Esther asks.

"He is going to see his mother," I say sounding a little disappointed.

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"No, he sounds mad. I'm going to drive over there," I say grabbing the keys and heading out.

AN

Well, this doesn't sound good.

Thanks for reading, vote and comment...

Au revoir...