Chapter 29*

"Welcome back lovely Alma, how was the concrete jungle this time." Mitsugi greeted us as he locked the door up for the night and started to disrobe from our weapons and vests.

"Alright, we found one of those holo... hollograin thingies." She chimed. "There was a floating lady and everything."

"So a hologram?" he corrected.

She nodded taking off her vest.

"Wish I could fly, squawk!" Albert, Mistugi's parrot jumped down from the rafters, landing flat on Almas' head.

"Well hello to you too Albert." She sung, letting him climb down to sit on her shoulder as she put the last things away.

"See you later." Jack and Connor yelled before leaving, heading to the mess hall for some dinner.

"See you!" we yelled back.

"Mitsugi?" I watched as the huge Asian man stared back at me with his on good eye. "How does Albert even get up there?"

He gave a big belly chuckle, holding his arm out so Alma could transfer the parrot to him. "I throw him up of course."

I stood there for a second waiting for the punch line but he just continued to walk out with Alma and I quickly locked up and caught up to him. "Wait your serious?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He chuckled. "Oh! We have some fresh meat."

"What do you mean?" Alma asked as we made our way into the mess hall and got some dinner before sitting down with everyone else. Being the last group to come in, there wasn't many still up but the room was still full of chatter.

"Chads group came across a group in the North sector, hiding out in some old boarding house. A few families. Been there the whole time but they were too close to the East for us to have travelled so far out to find them. Chad had been assigned to scope out possible sniper spots to station out lookers for the operation next week."

"So Embers decided on a day?" I asked.

"Not officially, but news is we are running out of time. People are getting anxious, worried for their families and such you know. Plus we don't need anyone to betray us for the enemy and let them in on our plans."

Alma and I both nodded.

"alma, I managed to organise a place to get your dogs in. so if you want me to meet with them sometime this week I can get them in. there's and old shack in the inner parts of our sector so it will be safer for them there since we can't house them inside here. So do you want do your little thing and get a message to them soon as you can."

I watched as Alma eyes lit up like fireworks. "Really?"

"Yep, you get to see them after so long. "

She got up and gave the great big man a hug. I laughed at how tiny she was against him and was happy she could be reunited with her friends. But even as she laughed I could almost hear Peppers disapproving sneeze at everything I do in the back of my mind.